Nolan Tully advocates for insurance and financial services clients facing challenges in various aspects of their businesses. Nolan assists life, long-term care and disability insurers as well as annuity issuers with product development, regulatory compliance, and dispute resolution and litigation.
Long Term Care Insurance
Co-chair of the firm’s long-term care insurance (LTCi) practice, Nolan assists clients with issues relating to product development and marketing, policy wording, regulatory approval, claims review, complaint handling, premium rate issues, block closure, market conduct exams, litigation avoidance and predispute consulting, individual and class action litigation, and insolvency/liquidation issues. He also represents carriers in the sale, acquisition or reinsurance of long-term care insurance blocks. Additionally, Nolan assists carriers with life insurance and annuity combination products that include chronic illness coverage. He also represents third-party administrators in all aspects of LTCi administration.
Nolan frequently writes about LTCi issues and is asked to present to carriers and industry groups. Active in industry groups, Nolan consults with clients on innovations in care delivery and management, proactive policyholder engagement to improve health outcomes, regulatory and legislative changes to allow the market to respond better to the elder-care population, improvements to the rate increase application and approval process, and new concepts for effectively covering the next generation of long-term care needs.
Life and Disability Insurance
Nolan assists life insurers and annuity issuers with regulatory compliance, dispute resolution and litigation. He counsels clients on fraud detection and investigation policies and procedures, suitability issues, fraud reporting requirements, anti-money-laundering and Office of Foreign Asset Control compliance, policies and procedures governing brokers and agents, sales practices issues, and compliance with federal and state regulations related to the sale of cannabis products.
In the event of disputes, Nolan represents life and disability carriers nationwide in life insurance, disability insurance and annuity litigation. He defends insurers in lawsuits involving cost of insurance issues, sales practices, suitability, material misrepresentation and rescission, lapse, insurable interest, fraud and premium financing issues.
Nolan advises clients on statutes of limitations debts, collectability issues, expired judgments, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) compliance and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) compliance. He also represents clients in privacy and cyber liability compliance, including data breach response programs and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act.
Prior to joining the firm, Nolan worked as a law clerk for the Hon. Eduardo C. Robreno at the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, Hon. Eduardo C. Robreno, 2008-2009
Villanova University School of Law
J.D. cum laude, Villanova Environmental Law Journal (2008)
University of Pennsylvania
Insights & Events
Leadership & Community
- Affordable Housing and Community Benefits — Nolan assists community members and organizations on issues related to equitable development, including negotiating with developers of high-impact real estate projects on agreements to provide benefits to the impacted community, including providing affordable housing units, green space, amenities, and employment opportunities. Nolan also participated in an advisory committee to Philadelphia’s City Council President, the Honorable Darrell L. Clarke, to draft legislation requiring community benefits agreements between developers and the impacted community for certain defined high-impact projects that receive support from the City of Philadelphia.
- Military Assistance Program — Nolan assists clients referred by the Military Assistance Program of the Philadelphia Bar Association with issues relating to housing, real estate and receipt of VA benefits.
- Intercompany Long Term Care Insurance Conference — Co-Chair, Legal Compliance and Regulatory Track, 2014-present
- Long Term Care International Forum — Board of Directors, 2019-present; Organizing Committee, 2015-present
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- City Year Greater Philadelphia Associates Board — Founding Member, 2012; Co-chair 2013-16
- City Year Greater Philadelphia — Site Board Member, 2018-present; Chair, Government Relations Committee, 2019-present
- South of South Neighborhood Association Board of Directors — Board Member, 2017-present; Vice Chair, 2018-present
- South of South Neighborhood Association Economic Development Committee — Member, 2015-present; Co-chair, 2016-19
- Philadelphia Public Schools Giving Circle — 2015-present
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP — Co-chair, Long Term Care Insurance Team, 2017-20
- Faegre Drinker — Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2021-22
No aspect of these recognitions has been approved by the highest court of any state.