Alex also has extensive experience prosecuting and defending trade secrets lawsuits. As lead trial counsel, Alex once obtained a take-nothing verdict for a galvanizing start-up and its principal officer in a multi-million dollar misappropriation of trade secrets action brought by the largest galvanizing company in North America.
Alex is a member of the Trade Secrets Committee of the Intellectual Property Section of the State Bar of Texas, which actively monitors federal and state statutes and judicial decisions relating to the protection of trade secrets and engages in other initiatives related to trade secret law. As part of a working group formed in 2016, he helped to formulate recommendations for potential revisions and amendments to the Texas Uniform Trade Secrets Act. The working group’s recommendations were ultimately incorporated into a bill that was passed unanimously by both houses of the legislature, signed by the governor into law and enacted effective September 1, 2017.
- Successfully defended on appeal summary judgment in favor of insurer in coverage dispute regarding multiple commercial buildings
- As lead trial counsel, obtained defense verdict for regional galvanizing company and its principal officer in a misappropriation of trade secrets case
- Obtained a summary judgment for an insurance company in a first-party wind/hail case
- Obtained a partial summary judgment for the seller of a wildlife control device in a product liability action
- Obtained a partial summary judgment for a manufacturer in an on-the-job injury case filed by a former employee