Matt represents corporate venture capital divisions, institutional and individual investors, startups and mature businesses throughout a business’s life cycle. He helps clients achieve their objectives by providing practical solutions to complex legal and business challenges. Matt’s work often involves complex transactions with a heavy IP element, notably in the areas of life sciences, agtech and technology.
In addition to deal work, Matt routinely advises companies on day-to-day matters, such as corporate governance, commercial transactions, employment and IP strategy, serving as a de facto general counsel for many clients.
- Mergers and acquisitions, including control transactions, recapitalizations, call options and platform acquisitions and divestitures
- Private equity/venture capital financing transactions, including angel rounds, convertible note financings, and preferred stock issuances
- Licensing, distribution and supply agreements (typically as part of an equity financing or M&A transaction)
- Company formation matters, including entity selection, initial equity allocations, stockholder agreements, equity incentive plans and capital raising
- Fund formation and capital raising
- Software licensing transactions
- General commercial contracts
Startup Community Leadership
Matt participates in the Boulder startup community and mentors students at the School of Law Entrepreneurial Law Clinic at the University of Colorado School of Law.
Prior to law school, Matt was a research analyst in Boston and London, working with a number of large multinational corporations. During that time, he also managed a team of analysts in London, serving financial institutions with operations in Europe.
When not in the office, Matt is likely to be found on his skis or his bike near Boulder.