Defending Insurance and Annuity Companies
In addition to defending insurance and annuity companies in class actions, mass actions and single-plaintiff matters nationwide, Jesse and his team also:
- Handle market conduct exams
- Have worked directly with State Insurance Commissioners and regulators in over 30 states regarding regulatory and compliance issues and consumer complaints
- File interpleaders on disputed claims
- Develop solutions to industry issues related to modified endowment contracts and maturity contracts
- Litigate disputes related to lapse procedures, including defending allegations of misrepresentation and underfunding of universal life policies
- Interpret regulatory and statutory codes
- Handle disputes with Independent Marketing Organizations and agents
- Advise on day-to-day operational needs
In addition to defending national and regional banks in class actions and single-plaintiff matters nationwide, Jesse and his team:
- Resolve tax lien issues, including administratively redeeming properties when possible, interfacing with tax assessment officials and tax lien investors to negotiate recoveries, and fighting to overturn tax sales
- Handle matters involving Fair Credit Reporting Act, Telephone Consumer Protection Act, National Housing Act, Truth in Lending Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and similar state statutes
- Defend foreclosure and property preservation litigation
- Represent banks before the FDIC and state regulatory bodies
In addition to defending broker-dealers in FINRA arbitrations in 34 states, Jesse and his team:
- Represent broker-dealers in regulatory and compliance issues before SEC, FINRA and state security divisions
- Have personal experience with most all of the national PIABA lawyers, national FINRA mediators, and national due diligence and compliance leaders
- Assess investment products, including alternative investments such as DBSI and Provident, non-traded REITs, mutual funds, ETFs, options and VAs
- Handle FINRA on-the-record interviews
- Consult with brokerage compliance officers regarding U-4, U-5 and Form BD filing requirements
- Secure regulatory expungements for CRD/BrokerCheck reports
- Defend broker-dealers in disputes with registered representatives
Handling Emergency Non-Compete Matters/Trade Secret Matters
Jesse and his team represent companies in emergency non-compete matters, including filing suit, drafting detailed emergency briefing and conducting full evidentiary hearings in order to prevent the theft of proprietary information.
Conducting Internal Investigations
Jesse and his team regularly conduct internal investigations for clients in order to determine factual accuracy of sensitive client information, then summarize that information internally for the client or prepare the information in a report for regulators.
Complex Commercial Litigation
Jesse and his team have handled litigation involving everything from the manufacturing of glyphosate to the cleaning of ethanol plants.
After attending law school at Duke University School of Law and practicing in Dallas, Texas, at an AmLaw 100 firm, Jesse returned home to Iowa in 2005.
In addition to spending his free time with his wife, two sons and two bulldogs, Jesse enjoys playing in old man basketball leagues while maintaining an irrational love of the Iowa Hawkeyes.