Mergers and Acquisitions
During mergers and acquisitions, Steve represents both buyers and sellers, including public companies, private equity funds and owners of closely held businesses, in numerous transactions every year. He has facilitated many substantial transactions by enabling parties to achieve significant tax savings with his tax-planning ideas. An imaginative problem solver, Steve is a go-to for clients’ most challenging tax problems.
Other Business Tax Matters
In addition to counseling on transactions, Steve has broad tax experience and has dealt with a wide range of issues over the years. He addresses tax issues relating to, among other things:
- Regulated investment companies
- Real estate investment trusts (REITs)
- S corporations
- Limited partnerships and limited liability companies
- Formation and offerings of private equity funds
- Restructurings and recapitalizations
- Qualified small business stock
- Consolidated returns
- Preserving and utilizing net operating loss carryovers
- Spinoffs, liquidations and other corporate restructurings
- Executive compensation
- Transfers and liquidations of partnership interests and workouts of partnership debt
- Tax accounting issues
- Employment taxes
- Tax aspects of litigations and settlements
International Tax Aspects
Steve handles international tax matters for both domestic and foreign clients, dealing with multinational corporate acquisitions and restructurings, tax treaty and withholding tax issues, foreign tax credits, and planning for both inbound and outbound investment. He has advised clients on the federal income tax laws on controlled foreign corporations, passive foreign investment companies, international shipping income and foreign currency.
State and Local Taxes
Steve has experience in state and local tax matters. He regularly handles the state and local tax aspects of merger and acquisition transactions and issues connected to entity formation and other structuring matters. His experience includes Pennsylvania and Philadelphia taxes in particular, but he has also dealt with a wide range of other taxing jurisdictions.