Andy’s vision was instrumental in Drinker Biddle’s 2020 combination with Faegre Baker Daniels to establish an international firm with a reputation for outstanding legal results and a sophisticated, forward-thinking approach to every client engagement. The transaction followed Andy’s oversight of an earlier combination of Drinker Biddle with Gardner Carton & Douglass in 2007. As a leader of Faegre Drinker, Andy remains committed to championing the firm’s unique culture and core values, including a commitment to integrity, service excellence, collaboration and a diverse, respectful and inclusive work environment.
Andy is a frequent commentator on law firm management and diversity in the legal profession and frequently participates in industry forums and panels.
Andy also is a highly experienced, well-respected restructuring lawyer. He has argued cases before more than 40 judges in 30 federal jurisdictions throughout the country and has represented clients in nearly 500 Chapter 11 cases. His practice is concentrated in workouts, complex Chapter 11 cases and related bankruptcy litigation, including debtors, secured creditors, significant unsecured creditors, and interested parties, trustees, committees and purchasers of assets.
Andy has also established particular capabilities in all aspects of business retail and manufacturing restructurings, real estate, hospitality, lease finance, telecommunications and health care insolvency matters.
Andy has been featured as a speaker on panels in the area of restructuring across the country, including the American Bankruptcy Institute, Strategic Research Institute, National Business Institute, Turnaround Management Association, Practicing Law Institute and Legal Labs. He appeared on Moneyline with Lou Dobbs as an expert in bankruptcy, and was invited to be a guest lecturer on corporate bankruptcy at the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School of Business.
- Represented Agent of senior lenders in $350 million secured facility in the chapter 11 case of Philadelphia Newspapers
- Represented Agent of senior lenders syndicate in restructuring of lending facilities in excess of $500 million to debt collection company
- Represented Agent of senior lenders in restructuring of Philadelphia-based iconic brand snack and cake manufacturing company
- Represented Agent for secured lenders in out-of-court restructuring of largest independent radio station in Philadelphia
- Represented Citizens Bank, N.A. as lender in Oz Gas Co. and affiliates chapter 11 cases in Pennsylvania
- Represented super regional commercial bank in out-of-court restructurings of loans in aggregate amount in excess of $400 million
- Represented lenders in resort bankruptcy and receivership hospitality cases of Mount Airy Lodge, Mountain Laurel Resort, and Split Rock Resort
- Represented debtor in Plumbing Holdings Corp. chapter 11 case in Delaware
- Represented energy industry debtor in out-of-court restructuring involving environmental liability claims exceeding $1 billion
- Represented insurance company holding company debtor in chapter 11 case of The Mixx Group, Inc.
- Representation of a dozen portfolio debtor companies in restructurings on behalf of two mid-Atlantic-based private equity sponsors
- Represented debtor in out-of-court restructuring of Midwest homebuilder with over $400 million in debt
- Co-counsel to debtor in chapter 11 cases of American Safety Razor Corporation in Delaware
- Acts as national creditors’ rights counsel to Penske Truck Leasing Co., L.P., the nation’s second largest truck leasing company
- Acted as national creditors’ rights counsel to DVI, Inc., a specialty medical lender, in over 100 medical diagnostic center restructurings and bankruptcy cases
- Acted as national real estate loan restructuring counsel for one of 10 largest savings banks in the country in connection with more than 100 commercial real estate credits totaling over $1 billion
- Represented General Electric Capital Company as lender in out-of-court restructurings and chapter 11 cases, including but not limited to American Appliance Co., PDC Solutions, Inc., Fleming Companies, AAI Pharma, Independence Air, Focal Communications, Norvergence, CoreComm New York, and JL French Automotive Castings, Inc.
- Acted as counsel to Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in Ad National, Inc. chapter 11 case
- Acted as counsel to Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in prima facie chapter 11 case
Faculty and Author Positions
- Rutgers University School of Law-Camden — Adjunct Professor Lecturer at Law, Advanced Bankruptcy Law, 1994-2004
- The Legal Intelligencer (ALM) Publication, Articles Author (Bankruptcy Law) (2011-20)