Intellectual Property Litigation
Lora manages our most complex patent, trade secrets, trademark and copyright litigation. Acting on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants, Lora has a track record of obtaining rich jury verdicts, including findings of willful infringement when representing plaintiffs, defense verdicts when representing defendants, and settlements favorable to her clients in various IP matters. She won a jury award of $52.4 million as trial counsel for a leading international liquid crystal display manufacturer in a patent infringement case and $18 million in judgments against sellers of counterfeit products for a consumer products client. She has also obtained significant favorable settlements in multiple bet-the-company trade secret matters, including in one case when she defeated summary judgment in a multiple-count case after years of litigation, leading to a favorable settlement for the client. With a penchant for the highly technical, Lora is at home when litigating cases in scientific and precision fields, including optical engineering and electromagnetic testing.
Commercial and Government Contracts Litigation
Lora also represents clients in commercial and government contracts matters, including the full range of business disputes, civil conspiracy, fraud, complex breach of contract actions and unfair competition. She supervises high-profile internal investigations related to fraud and employee misconduct both in the U.S. and abroad. Lora also has extensive experience representing commercial real estate brokers, including negotiating their employment and separation agreements with commercial brokerage firms and counseling them on their transition from one firm to another.
- Prevailed in back-to-back jury trial victories as trial counsel defending an optical engineering company in high-stakes patent litigation brought by its primary competitor in a billion-dollar business.
- Served as lead counsel defending government contractor in the field of electromagnetic testing in bet-the-company litigation brought by competitor involving allegations of trade secret misappropriation, patent infringement, conspiracy, tortious interference, fraud and unfair competition. Lora obtained summary judgment on the patent and Lanham Act claims and won a favorable settlement for the client.
- Obtained favorable settlements against six of the largest LCD manufacturers in the world in a patent infringement case for a prominent French agency. As part of this case, Lora successfully appealed a decision to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit on the issue of personal jurisdiction.
- Obtained several million dollars in judgments and favorable settlements against the defendants in a conspiracy, fraud and RICO case.
- As lead trial counsel, successfully defended national distributor in a complex commercial arbitration dispute in which the arbitrator denied in full the plaintiff’s $10 million claim after a one-week trial. Lora successfully defended claims of breach of fiduciary duty, conspiracy, tortious interference with contract, fraud, and negligent misrepresentation, and also prevailed on the client’s counterclaims.
- Won a significant judgment as lead trial counsel in a complex trust action for breach of fiduciary duty after a two-week bench trial and successfully obtained the removal of the trustee.
- Obtained a defense verdict as lead trial counsel for a national agricultural chemical distributor after a week-long jury trial in a complex commercial lease dispute matter.
- As trial counsel before an EPA administrative judge, successfully defended a prominent agricultural chemical manufacturer against the EPA’s civil penalty claims.
- As lead trial counsel in a multi-defendant case, successfully obtained a directed verdict in favor of clients, defeating an easement claim.
- Led internal investigations relating to fraud and employee misconduct for an international consumer electronics products corporation in Korea and Hungary that involved privacy laws unique to both countries.