Trademark Prosecution and Brand Protection
Emily provides comprehensive counsel to clients in trademark selection, clearance and prosecution. She analyzes trademark portfolios to ensure they have appropriate worldwide coverage and recommends strategies for strengthening brands in the marketplace. Her services often involve helping clients implement trademark enforcement programs to protect their brands.
Copyrights and Rights of Publicity
In addition to her branding skills, Emily advises clients on a broad array of copyright and rights of publicity matters, including on multimedia clearance projects involving the negotiation of licenses to use third-party copyrighted works and third-party rights of publicity on products and in advertising. She also helps clients protect their copyrighted works through registration and various enforcement actions. Emily has negotiated licenses between her clients and various rights-holder organizations, including stock photography houses, merchandising firms, major motion picture studios and music rights organizations.
Intellectual Property Agreements and Transactions
Emily routinely drafts and negotiates a wide variety of intellectual property agreements, including licensing, consent/coexistence, independent contractor and other agreements, and provides counsel in support of mergers and acquisitions, joint venture and financing deals.
On the litigation/enforcement front, Emily has represented clients in cases involving trademark infringement and dilution, copyright infringement, and cybersquatting. Her practice includes regularly representing clients in opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and domain name disputes under the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy.
Sports and Outdoor Recreation Industry Focus
Emily combines her love of sports and the great outdoors with her passion for intellectual property law through her representation of sports organizations, athletes, product manufacturers, and colleges and universities in a variety of intellectual property matters. She works to stay at the forefront of intellectual property issues pertinent to the sports and outdoor recreation world and routinely writes and speaks on the latest developments in these industries. She also attends industry trade shows and events in order to understand the issues and trends impacting these industries. Emily currently sits on the Denver Sports Commission, which is tasked with bringing high-profile sporting events to Colorado.
Prior to joining the firm, Emily was a partner in the intellectual property group at Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie, where she practiced for 17 years. While at Lewis Roca, she served as co-chair of the intellectual property group and was elected to the firm’s management board.
Emily is an avid sports fan who loves the great outdoors and has a passion for hiking and trail running and a deep love of Iowa Hawkeye sports.
U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
University of Iowa College of Law
University of Iowa
B.B.A. with honors (1999)
Insights & Events
- Trademark Laws: Arizona
Author, Practical Law, May 31, 2017
- New gTLDs: ICANN Trademark Clearinghouse Goes Live
Co-author, March 27, 2013
- Domain Dynasty: The Ongoing Battle Over Presence on the World Wide Web
Author, Sports Litigation Alert, February 8, 2013
- Famous Trademarks
Co-Presenter, Rocky Mountain IP Institute, May 2019
- Fair Use and Online Educational Materials
Presenter, Kramer Copyright Conference, June 6-7, 2016
- Perils of Settling Trademark Disputes (Naked Licensing)
Co-presenter, Rocky Mountain Intellectual Property and Technology Institute, June 3, 2016
- Understanding Intellectual Property, Warranties and Liability Waivers
Co-presenter, Colorado Mountain College, March 25, 2016
- Rocky Mountain IP Institute — Trademarks & Acquisitions
Speaker, May 2015
- Common Licensing Mistakes
Presenter, April 2014
- Copyrights: A Workshop on Protecting Your Designs
Presenter, July 2013
Firm Blog Contributions
- Broker Dealer Law Blog – a resource that provides practical insights on litigation, regulatory, compliance and fiduciary issues impacting broker-dealers
- Faegre Drinker on Products – a blog addressing all things product liability that covers legal issues and developments of interest to product manufacturers and their employers
- TCAM Today – uncomplicated, practical, day-to-day advice about how to build, protect or monetize a brand
Leadership & Community
- International Trademark Association INTA
- State Bar of Arizona Trademark Reform Committee — Former Member
- Arizona Women Lawyers Association — Former Member
- American Bar Association Intellectual Property and Technology Practice Section — Former Member of Dilution Subcommittee
- Intellectual Property Section State Bar of Arizona, Chair and Officer, 2004-12
- Denver Sports Commission
- Best Lawyers® — Copyright Law, 2016-23 (Lawyer of the Year, 2022;) Sports Law, 2023; Trademark Law, 2023;
- World Trademark Review 1000 — World’s Leading Trademark Professionals (Colorado), 2016-23
- Southwest Super Lawyers — Rising Star, Intellectual Property, 2013-16
- AZ Business Magazine — Top Lawyers, 2010-11
- AZ Business Leaders — Intellectual Property Law, 2015