Kelly Young helps companies build and protect their intellectual property assets worldwide.
Kelly counsels clients on all aspects of domestic and international brand management, navigating the entire lifecycle of trademarks from creation and clearance, to filing and registration, and finally to maintenance and enforcement. She manages trademark portfolios of all sizes and advises companies ranging from startups to large multinational corporations on their branding strategy.
In addition, Kelly counsels clients on copyright protection and enforcement issues, including registration, infringement and the use of third-party materials. As part of her practice, Kelly drafts and reviews copyright license and other intellectual property agreements.
Kelly also handles intellectual property matters arising from business transactions, such as mergers and acquisitions. In particular, Kelly helps companies integrate their global portfolios after transactions, and has strategized with trademark counsel in more than 150 countries to develop efficient ways of unifying the ownership of intellectual property assets.
In her free time, Kelly enjoys playing the cello and performs with the DC Concert Orchestra. Kelly has also participated in the Law Rocks music competition, a battle of the bands featuring local legal professionals, which raises funds for nonprofit organizations.
District of Columbia
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
Boston University School of Law
J.D. cum laude (2012)
B.A. summa cum laude (2009)
Insights & Events
Firm Blog Contributions
- TCAM Today – uncomplicated, practical, day-to-day advice about how to build, protect or monetize a brand
Leadership & Community
- International Trademark Association, Indigenous Rights Committee, 2022-23
- American Bar Association, Section of Intellectual Property Law
- District of Columbia Bar, Co-Chair of Trademark and Copyright Committee, 2020-current; Co-Chair of International IP Committee, 2019-20
- Associates Committee, 2022-present
- Faegre Drinker — Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2020-22
- Boston University School of Law – Edward F. Hennessey Distinguished Scholar
- Drinker Biddle & Reath — Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2015-18
No aspect of these recognitions has been approved by the highest court of any state.