Christopher Petillo counsels clients on a broad range of insurance litigation and regulatory matters.
Chris’s insurance litigation experience includes coverage and extra-contractual disputes in state and federal courts across the country, involving life, long-term care, annuity, and property and casualty policies. Substantively, Chris’s litigation focuses on life insurance pricing issues such as cost of insurance, fraud (including rescissions), broker misconduct, lapse and reinstatement, civil RICO, and claims disputes. He has successfully resolved many cases through dispositive motions, appeals and securing favorable settlements.
Chris also advises insurer and broker clients and regularly speaks to organizations across the country on a wide variety of matters, including regulatory complaints, cost of insurance, fraud prevention, detection and mitigation, InsurTech, and cyber liability and privacy (including Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, HIPAA, HITECH, and emerging state privacy laws), and long-term care insurance claims training.
While in law school, Chris served as an extern to the Honorable Michael M. Baylson at the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Flaherty v. Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company, 2022 WL 2287506 (D. Colo. March 30, 2022)
- 1988 Trust for Allen Children Dated 8/8/88 v. Banner Life Insurance Company et al., 28 F.4th 513 (4th Cir. 2022)
- Flaherty as Trustee for Dennis Flaherty Irrevocable Trust dated 06/19/2002 v. Banner Life Insurance Company, 2021 WL 7368166 (D. Colo. Sept. 7, 2021)
Chris enjoys running. He ran for Bucknell’s Cross Country and Track & Field teams while at Bucknell. Chris is also an avid fan of the Philadelphia 76ers.
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
Villanova University School of Law
J.D. cum laude, Villanova Law Review (2010)
Insights & Events
Firm Blog Contributions
- LTCi Summit – a forum dedicated to a range of issues impacting the long-term care insurance community, including litigation, regulation and public policy
Leadership & Community
- Support Center for Child Advocates
- Christian Legal Clinics of Philadelphia
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association 5K Run – Organizing Committee
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP — Associates Committee, 2015-18
- Best Lawyers® — "Ones to Watch," Insurance Law, 2021-23
No aspect of these recognitions has been approved by the highest court of any state.