With a sophisticated background leading litigation, Jim Frederick defends life sciences companies facing product liability, mass tort and consumer fraud lawsuits. Jim also advises and represents clients regarding matters that involve artificial intelligence, algorithmic decision-making and machine learning, as well as in commercial litigation and appellate matters. A former Assistant U.S. Attorney in the District of Maryland, Jim wields his background investigating and prosecuting civil and criminal fraud cases to inform his defense strategy for clients.
Product Liability & Mass Tort Litigation
Jim has advised some of the world’s largest pharmaceutical and medical device companies in product liability litigation. He deftly develops strategy and coordinates mass torts and MDLs, focusing on the client’s business interests. Jim is familiar with the scientific and regulatory issues at play in drug and device litigation, and he is skilled in managing fact and expert depositions, expert development and Daubert strategy. When a product liability claim or mass tort goes to trial, he has the experience to lead the charge in the courtroom.
Additional Complex Litigation
Jim’s litigation experience includes:
- A decade defending individual health care providers and institutions in professional liability matters including all aspects of litigation such as discovery, trial and appeal
- The defense of residential property owners in toxic tort cases alleging brain injury from exposure to lead-based paint
- Prosecuting complex antitrust suits involving claims challenging pharmaceutical contracting practices
Jim has tried cases to verdict as both first- and second-chair trial counsel and has argued before state and federal appellate courts.
Jim is a weekend warrior cyclist and triathlete who has more time to bike/run than swim and enjoys spending time in the outdoors with family.
District of Columbia
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
B.S. in Business and Economics Law (1989)
The Dickinson School of Law of Pennsylvania State University
J.D. Journal of International Law (editor) (1992)
Insights & Events
- 5 Major Drug and Device Developments of 2022
Republished by Law360, January 2023
Firm Blog Contributions
- Broker Dealer Law Blog – a resource that provides practical insights on litigation, regulatory, compliance and fiduciary issues impacting broker-dealers
- Faegre Drinker on Products – a blog addressing all things product liability that covers legal issues and developments of interest to product manufacturers and their employers
Leadership & Community
- Products Liability Advisory Council — Founding Co-Chair HLTh (Health & Life Sciences Technology) Working Group
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Federal Bar Association
- Maryland Defense Counsel
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Wednesday Law Club — Secretary/Treasurer, 2020-present
- Best Lawyers® — Commercial Litigation, 2022-23
- Who’s Who Legal: Life Sciences — Product Liability, 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell — Peer Review Rating: AV® Preeminent
No aspect of these recognitions has been approved by the highest court of any state.