In the real estate sector, Gary has advised on a wide spectrum of commercial real estate lending arrangements — including investment loans, development loans, capital call financings and other shareholder loan arrangements — acting for lenders and borrowers such as investment funds, developers and operators. He has experience in all major commercial real estate asset types including offices, retail, logistics, industrial and residential assets such as student accommodation, co-living and private rented sector / build-to-rent assets.
In the leveraged finance space, Gary advises clients on acquisition financing transactions and ongoing financing arrangements for sponsors and portfolio companies. Gary also advises fund clients on subscription line facilities and working capital arrangements.
Gary has experience working alongside restructuring colleagues on corporate workouts, security enforcements and administration.
- Advised Nomad Foods in respect of its €2.6 billion acquisition and financing of Iglo Foods and subsequent financing of its acquisition of Findus Group’s Continental European Businesses.
- Advised Cyfrowy Polsat S.A. in connection with a PLN 3 billion refinancing of a senior secured facilities agreement.
- Advised senior lenders in connection with the £1.9 billion refinancing of a senior secured facilities agreement provided to Virgin Media
- Advised the lenders in connection with a £70 million super-senior revolving credit facility provided to a retail group.
- Advised Crosstree Capital Partners on the £97 million facility provided by Lloyds Bank plc in connection with the acquisition of The Collective Canary Wharf.
- Advised Scape Group plc on the £157 million facility provided by Aareal Bank AG in connection with the refinancing of three student accommodation assets.
- Advised luxury senior-living operator Auriens on its recapitalisation by Oaktree Capital, including the amendment and restatement of its £184million senior financing.
- Advised Paloma Capital on various financings, including the £195 million financing provided by Wells Fargo and other lenders in connection with a portfolio of industrial assets.
- Advised The Ardent Companies on various financings, including in connection with the acquisition of The Touchwood Shopping Centre.
- Advised Angelo Gordon and Trinity Investment Management on the £92.5 million financing provided by Lloyds Bank plc in connection with the refinancing of a science park portfolio.
- Advised a real estate developer in connection with a £12.4 million Islamic murabaha financing.
- Advised multiple funds on a range of capital call financings, secured against undrawn investor commitments in the relevant funds.
- Advised Oxford Finance, a specialist nonbank lender in the life sciences sector, on the English law aspects of various financings provided to companies in the life sciences sector.
- Advised SK Telecom in relation to a $100 million export credit financing.
- Advised a consumer goods company on an $8.5 million receivables financing provided by a specialist lender.
England & Wales
Oxford Institute of Legal Practice
LPC with distinction (2003)
University College, Oxford University
B.A. in Jurisprudence, with honors (2002)
Insights & Events
Leadership & Community
- IFLR1000 — United Kingdom, 2017-22
- The Legal 500 — United Kingdom, 2014-22
- Property Finance, 2022
- Bank Lending: Investment Grade Debt and Syndicated Loans, 2014, 2017, 2022
No aspect of these recognitions has been approved by the highest court of any state.