Real Estate Finance
Dottie represents both borrowers and lenders in real estate financing transactions, including construction loans, securitized financings, loan acquisitions and loan work-outs. She provides financing counsel for clients including private equity funds and financial institutions.
Real Estate Project Development
Dottie counsels clients in the project-development phase of real estate transactions, advises on appropriate entity formation and provides creative solutions on the path to project completion. She has helped clients develop office, retail, hotel, restaurant, residential, resort, industrial and warehouse facilities. Dottie enjoys projects that present uncommon challenges, such as her work completing a historic hotel development project, for which she guided the client through the intricacies of the National Historic Preservation Act and the National Environmental Policy Act.
Hospitality Business Operations
Prior to entering the legal profession, Dottie managed restaurant operations for several national corporations, and draws on this background to counsel hotels and restaurants on business operations and transactional issues, such as the transferring of liquor licenses, hotel brand transitions, hotel management agreements and franchise negotiations.
- Represented a large Canadian financial institution in connection with a mortgage loan secured by the Meadowlands Race Track.
- Represented the lender in a $170 million financing of an integrated construction materials contractor involving 14 properties (mostly quarries) in several states.
- As local counsel, represented a global real estate private equity fund in connection to its acquisition of a variety of hotel property portfolios in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
- Represented a U.S. commercial bank in a $145 million financing of a privately owned company and a leader in the specialty or monolithic refractories industry. The financing involved 11 mortgaged properties in six states and Canada.
- Represented the developers of a $100 million sustainable mixed-use community in the Bahamas, including applications for HUD, ISLRP and inter-state registrations.
- Represented a regional banking corporation in connection with a $37.8 million refinancing involving two term loans, a line of credit, a construction loan, and the restructuring of existing debt secured by mortgages on five stores of a well-known New Jersey grocery chain. The transaction involved an interest rate swap.
- Represented a privately held spice company in its first-time purchase of an industrial building in Edison, NJ and associated financings.
- Act as outside general counsel to the owners/operators of a group of private boutique hotels in New Jersey, representing them on a variety of real estate and business matters, including financing, leasing and construction contracting.
- Act as outside lending counsel for various banks.