International Corporate Transactions
Luc advises global clients on expanding their businesses into or outside the U.S. through acquisitions, joint ventures or partnerships with local players (e.g., franchisors, distributors and sales representatives). Rather than focus on a single transaction, Luc seeks to understand clients’ long-term goals in order to help achieve their broader strategic objectives. His understanding and appreciation of the cultural and legal differences between the U.S. and other countries is invaluable to clients and often helps bridge gaps necessary to bring transactions to a close. As a finance major who began his career as an equity options trader on the Chicago Board Options Exchange, Luc is well versed in business and financial markets in ways that further enable a closer connection with his clients.
Luc’s experience covers traditional private mergers and acquisitions, strategic partnerships and joint ventures, commercial contracts, and capital fundraising. He also serves as outside general counsel to many of his foreign clients, accompanying them through major disputes and litigation, employment issues and varying other legal matters.
Education Industry Mergers and Acquisitions
Beyond cross-border M&A, Luc has also developed over 10 years of experience in the education sector. The firm’s education regulatory team is one of just a few in the U.S. that is able to handle complex M&A transactions in this space, requiring a deep understanding of both the law and the regulatory bodies. Luc’s education industry experience includes some of the most complex and high-profile transactions in the field, such as the first successful acquisition and conversion of a nonprofit medical school into a for-profit company, or the University of Massachusetts’ acquisition of an online university in California, which was a first-of-its kind transaction in this space. He also advises foreign education companies looking to penetrate the U.S. and U.S. education companies wanting to expand abroad. He works with for-profit, nonprofit and public universities inside and out of the U.S.
- Acquisitions and divestures of companies ranging from sub $10 million to multi-hundred $ million
- Sample M&A advisory transactions: $400 million acquisition by a Canadian public company of a private label fruit juice business; $250 million stock sale for a U.S. publicly traded client of one of its manufacturing subsidiaries; $400 million asset acquisition by an Austrian company of a tungsten metal company; and the acquisition by a U.S. private equity client of two automobile parts manufacturing divisions for $51 million
- Numerous joint ventures and strategic partnerships, ranging in size from billions of dollars to smaller partnerships between foreign companies and U.S.-based distributors
- Commercial contracts of all types, ranging from standard supply and distributor agreements, to more complex multi-party/multi-jurisdiction manufacturing and joint development agreements, including multibillion-dollar IT outsourcing agreements for a large U.S. public company
- Outside general counsel of U.S. subsidiaries for several French companies
Luc enjoys traveling with his family, as well as (good) music, cinema and food. He likes to play tennis, golf, as well as sailing and mountain-biking.