Joshua Colburn applies a collaborative approach to represent business entities and market participants of all sizes, primarily in matters of corporate governance, capital-raising transactions, executive compensation and securities compliance. He also has experience in a variety of other transactional matters, including joint ventures, international expansions and restructurings, and mergers and acquisitions.
Public CompaniesJoshua supports a number of public company clients in understanding and complying with legal and regulatory requirements, including listing standards, routine reporting and other interactions with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and state securities authorities, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the Nasdaq and NYSE markets, and the over-the-counter markets.
Corporate GovernanceJoshua regularly counsels private and public company clients and their boards on oversight responsibilities, board and committee structures, fiduciary duties, and stakeholder engagement.
Joshua works with issuers and underwriters in connection with public and private debt and equity securities offerings, including shelf registrations and:
- Initial public offerings (IPOs) and other methods of “going public”
- Various underwritten offering structures
- Registered direct offerings
- Private placements in public equity
- Acquisition financing
- Restructuring transactions
Law Faculty Position
Joshua has served as an adjunct professor at the University of Minnesota Law School since the 2009 founding of its experiential learning course, “Law in Practice.” He continues to instruct a section of the course each spring semester.
The course has become a part of the base curriculum for all first-year J.D. students and focuses on client service, including interviewing and counseling, interactions among parties and witnesses, settlements, mediations and negotiation skills.
Services & Industries
University of Minnesota Law School
J.D. Dean's List, Minnesota Law Review (lead managing editor) (2007)
University of Minnesota
B.S. in Computer Science, Dean's List (2004)
Insights & Events
Leadership & Community
- American Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Society for Corporate Governance
- University of Minnesota Law School — Adjunct Associate Professor
- The Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal — ‘40 Under 40’ Honoree, 2021
- Minnesota Law Review Volume 91 Board Writing Award
- Three-time recipient of the Presidential Student Leadership and Service Award
- Paul A. Cartwright Award for Outstanding Public Service and Scholarship
- University of Minnesota Law School Public Service Program Honoree