Chad Drown is a trial lawyer for Faegre Drinker’s most high-stakes trials, having won three trial victories for defendants in cases where the damages exposure topped one billion dollars. Most recently, in 2022, Chad and a team won a complete defense jury verdict in a billion-dollar patent infringement jury trial in Pittsburgh. And in 2023, Chad and a team won a complete defense jury verdict in a $243 million trademark infringement jury trial in Los Angeles. Minnesota Lawyer named him an Attorney of the Year in 2022 based on his winning trial record, and Twin Cities Business recognized him as one of four Notable IP Attorneys for 2023.
Chad has taught courses on visual and trial advocacy across the country — from Delaware to Alaska — and at the University of Minnesota Law School.
In addition to jury trials, Chad has successfully argued multiple appeals before the Federal Circuit.
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, Hon. Susan Richard Nelson, 2002-2004
University of Minnesota Law School
J.D. Law Review (2002)
Saint John's University
Insights & Events
- Effective Use of Demonstrative Exhibits in Hearings & Trials
Alaska Bar Association, Juneau, 2017
- How to Select a Jury and How to Craft Jury Instructions
Minnesota CLE, August 2013
- 75 Keys to Winning Your Next Patent Case
Minnesota CLE, July 2013
- Twin Cities Business — Notable IP Attorney, 2023
- Minnesota Lawyer — Attorneys of the Year, 2022
- Minnesota Super Lawyers — Rising Star, Intellectual Property Litigation, 2013-16
- Minnesota Lawyer — Up and Coming Lawyer, 2012