Christopher DeGrezia represents and advises clients in complex commercial transactions and land-development projects. Christopher is a trusted guide to clients on all sides of the real estate development process. He advises national real estate developers, corporate clients, educational and philanthropic institutions, renewable energy companies and government entities, among others, on efforts to enhance the economic viability of property and establish new facilities to meet market demands. Clients value his in-depth knowledge of the transactional, regulatory, environmental and administrative underpinnings of real estate projects and his commitment to addressing every aspect of such matters on their behalf.
While in law school, Christopher served as a legal intern for the Hon. William F. Tuohey, United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey. He also served as a legal intern for the United States Environmental Protection Agency, Region II, Water, Grants and General Litigation Department. In 1995-96 Christopher clerked for the Hon. Raymond A. Hayser in the Superior Court of New Jersey, where he focused on prerogative writ litigation.
Real Estate Development, Zoning and Land Use
Christopher represents national and local real estate developers and leaders in real estate acquisition, development, construction, leasing and finance. He has experience in all types of development and redevelopment projects, many of which implement green technologies, such as solar, geothermal or oxide fuel cells for renewable energy. He has appeared before more than 150 land use boards and agencies in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Christopher has played an integral role in major projects, including the New York Jets practice facility in Florham Park; data centers for Goldman Sachs and Credit Suisse; industrial and warehouse distribution projects for Black Creek Group, Dermody, Prologis, Global Logistics, Trammel Crow, Rockefeller, Clarian, Adler Development and Sudler Companies; residential and mixed-use developments for Toll Brothers, D.R. Horton, Mill Creek, Investcorp, Lincoln Equities, Harbor Retirement and South Bay; and educational/institutional development for Princeton University, The Hun School of Princeton, Historic Morven and Rutgers Prep.
Real Estate Transactions
Christopher handles transactional matters, including structuring and negotiating agreements, financing, acquisition, sales, commercial leasing and construction contracts. He has advised clients regarding appropriate entity formation, and he drafts and negotiates leases, condominium documents and purchase agreements.
Christopher is particularly experienced in advising both private sector clients and public entities on environmental regulatory compliance. He advises municipal township committees, municipal borough councils, planning boards, zoning boards of adjustment, public utilities and governmental subcommittees and commissions on environmental and real estate concerns.
Services & Industries
Superior Court of New Jersey, Morris County, Hon. Raymond A. Hayser, 1995-1996
Seton Hall University School of Law
J.D. cum laude (1995)
University of Virginia
Insights & Events
Leadership & Community
- D&R Greenway Land Trust
- Montgomery Friends of Open Space
- Habitat for Humanity — Legal Services Award, 2019
- Commercial Real Estate Development Association (NAIOP)
- New Jersey Builders Association — Mixed Use Development
- New Jersey Institute of Municipal Attorneys
- New Jersey League of Municipalities
- Princeton Bar Association — Past President, currently on Board of Trustees
- Mercer County Bar Association — Instructor for Continuing Education
- National Business Institute — Faculty Member
- Lorman Education Services — Faculty Member
- University of Virginia Alumni Club — Princeton Chapter
- D&R Greenway Land Trust — Chair of the Board of Trustees, Executive Committee and Acquisitions Committee
- CancerCare — Former member of Board of Trustees
- Montgomery Center for the Arts — Former member of Board of Trustees
- Princeton Writers Group, Cofounder
- New Jersey Super Lawyers — Rising Star 2006-07
- New Jersey & Co. — Top Real Estate Attorney
- Seton Hall Preparatory School Hall of Fame
- Award-winning land use blogger (Rutgers Law School “a resource for Land Use Law”)
- Law.com — Environmental Defense Award