With 20 years of experience in pharmaceutical and agricultural matters, Alison Baldwin is uniquely equipped to advance your most complex intellectual property goals. Whether you Eat it, Drink it, Wear it, Smoke it or Drive it, Alison’s extensive background in biotechnology and plant science brings a vital perspective to your project.
An experienced litigator with dozens of pharmaceutical and biotechnology cases under her belt, Alison advocates for clients in all stages of trial across a range of venues. Her experience in federal district court, the International Trade Commission, the Patent Trial and Appeal Board — along with private arbitration proceedings — informs her strategic guidance for clients in every phase of their case.
Alison is also a seasoned patent prosecutor with an emphasis on technologies and inventions relating to biology, plants and microorganisms. From patent application drafts through appeals and post-grant proceedings, she has the experience to counsel your team in the most ambitious and intricate situations.
Clients benefit from Alison’s strategic thinking in every aspect of their IP projects, from clearance analysis for new product development to patent and trademark management, mergers and acquisitions, and communicating IP strategies to board members, senior management and in-house counsel.
Alison serves on the Board of Directors of the Patent Trial and Appeal Board Bar Association and is an instructor in IP trial advocacy at Chicago-Kent College of Law. A trailblazer at her previous firm, Alison was the first female partner to serve on the firm’s management board and the first female chair of that firm’s business development committee.
Alison enjoys ballroom dancing, learning French, travel, cooking, and spending time with her husband and children.
- IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Adjunct Professor, Intensive Intellectual Property Trial Advocacy
- Adjunct Professor, IP Strategies
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Chicago-Kent College of Law
North Carolina State University
M.Ag. in Plant Pathology (1996)
B.S. in Biochemistry and Plant Science (1994)
Insights & Events
Leadership & Community
- PTAB Bar Association
- Board of Directors, 2018-2021
- Chair of Membership Committee, 2016-18, 2021-present
- Member of Founding Working Group, 2015-16
- Town Club, Board Member; Past President, 2012-present
- Visceral Dance Chicago, Board Member; Treasurer, 2017-19
- River North Dance Chicago, Board Member; Secretary, 2011-16
- Westmont High School Football Parents’ Organization, Chairperson, 2016-2021
- Best Lawyers® — Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2021-23; Patent Law, 2020-23
- Faegre Drinker — Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2021
- Chicago-Kent IPLS Alumni of the Year, 2019
No aspect of these recognitions has been approved by the highest court of any state.