Matt has defended numerous class actions, in state and federal court, involving claims of false advertising, fraud, breach of contract, breach of warranty and alleged violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and of California’s consumer protection statutes, the Unfair Competition Law (UCL), the False Advertising Law (FAL), and the Consumers Legal Remedies Act (CLRA). He also has experience defending pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers in product liability mass torts involving allegations of negligence, fraud, failure to warn, design defect, and manufacturing defect. Matt represents businesses at all stages of litigation, and, where appropriate, alternative dispute resolution (ADR) proceedings, and he is particularly skilled in drafting compelling pre-trial motions and appellate briefs that concisely demystify even the most complex of topics.
Matt is a regular contributor to the firm’s TCPA Blog, which provides important news and insights concerning TCPA court decisions and regulatory developments.
Before joining the firm, Matt spent two years as a staff attorney for the Supreme Court of California. While in law school, he served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Kathryn M. Werdegar, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of California.
Class Action Litigation
- Defends clients facing claims of false advertising, fraud, breach of contract, breach of warranty, unfair competition, and violations of the TCPA
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
University of San Francisco School of Law
J.D. magna cum laude, USF Law Review - Staff Member (2010)
University of California, Berkeley
Insights & Events
Firm Blog Contributions
- TCPA Blog – a resource analyzing TCPA-related litigation and regulatory developments
Leadership & Community
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP — Associates Committee, 2014–17
- Faegre Drinker — Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2020
- Best Lawyers® — "Ones to Watch," Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants, 2023; Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, 2023
No aspect of these recognitions has been approved by the highest court of any state.