Health Care, Higher Education and Nonprofit Finance
Charlie serves as bond counsel, borrowers’ counsel and underwriters’ counsel in connection with various finance transactions related to higher education and health care entities and projects. He has regularly served as underwriters’ counsel for major national investment banks in connection with issuance by a major university (and its affiliated academic medical center and integrated health system) in connection with more than $5 billion in new money and refunding bonds over a ten-year period. Charlie also serves as regular finance counsel for a regional health system in Pennsylvania, issuing over $550 million in tax-exempt bonds in 2019. For many years, Charlie has also served as regular finance counsel to one of the most respected national social service agencies and has represented lenders, borrowers and underwriters in tax-exempt and taxable financing transactions for continuing care retirement communities, scores of independent schools in the Northeast and other nonprofit organizations.
Exempt Facilities, Energy and Project Finance
Over the years, Charlie has served as bond counsel, lenders’ counsel and underwriter’s counsel in connection with the financing of energy and energy-related projects, solid waste disposal, manufacturing and economic development, and other exempt facilities.
Charlie works extensively with Faegre Drinker’s tribal governments practice with respect to taxable and tax-exempt financings for Indian tribal governments, including the issuance of high-yield Rule 144A offerings, direct institutional placements and tribal economic development bonds. He represents tribal clients in connection with financing and debt restructuring transactions related to gaming and resort facilities.
Charlie’s practice has also included a wide range of corporate and financing transactions for nonprofit, health care and health care-related organizations. In particular, Charlie has represented health care institutions and systems in acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures.
- Served as borrower’s counsel to a regional health system in Pennsylvania in connection with the issuance of over $550 million in tax-exempt revenue bonds in 2019 and continues to advise the system in connection with borrowing, finance and securities compliance matters.
- Has served as underwriters’ counsel for major national investment banks in connection with issuance by a nationally known university and affiliated quaternary academic medical center and integrated health system in connection with over $5 billion in new money and refunding bonds in the last ten years
- Has acted as bond counsel and master indenture counsel in connection with nearly $700 million in tax-exempt and taxable multi-state debt financing transactions for one of the nation’s largest nonprofit operators of continuing care retirement communities
- Has acted as bond counsel and borrower’s counsel in connection with over 30 public and private tax-exempt debt financings for independent schools in Pennsylvania and other states
- For over 20 years, has represented one of the nation’s largest and best known nonprofit national social service agencies in connection with a broad range of financing and related matters