Morgan is a trusted adviser to public and private companies, their boards of directors and investment banks on a wide range of strategic matters, including mergers and acquisitions, capital markets transactions, and corporate governance. Morgan has deep experience across a number of industries and a variety of transaction structures, having led over 100 M&A transactions and over 100 capital markets transactions during his career. He has also advised numerous public companies on their most sensitive corporate governance and compliance matters. Morgan has firsthand business experience as a corporate development executive and as co-founder of a successful software company.
Capital MarketsWithin the capital markets, Morgan has led public and private offerings of debt, equity, convertible and hybrid securities. He has acted as primary counsel for numerous IPO and follow-on equity offerings, as well as for high-yield and investment grade debt issuances. These transactions have involved representation of both issuers and investment banks and have been denominated in multiple currencies. Deal size has ranged from $10 million to over $2 billion.
Mergers & AcquisitionsIn the M&A space, Morgan has led deal teams for buyers and sellers in domestic transactions and cross-border transactions involving over 30 countries. These deals have involved acquisitions and sales of public companies, PE and venture-backed companies, family-owned enterprises and carveouts from large multinationals. Deal size has ranged from less than $100 million to over $2 billion.
Public CompaniesMorgan also assists public companies in their corporate governance and compliance matters. This work involves advising boards of directors on fiduciary duties and governance processes, and advising companies on their SEC and stock exchange compliance, activism defense and dealings with the public markets.
Services & Industries
University of Virginia School of Law
J.D. Order of the Coif (1996)
A.B. cum laude (1993)
Insights & Events
Leadership & Community
- Children's Theatre Company — Board of Governors; Executive Committee
- Wilderness Inquiry — Board of Directors; Executive Committee
- One Heartland — Former Board of Directors; Current Finance Committee
- Board Member
- Minnesota Lawyer — The POWER 30: Mergers & Acquisitions, 2023
- Chambers USA — Minnesota, Corporate/M&A, 2011-22
- Chambers USA — Minnesota, Capital Markets: Debt & Equity, 2021-22
- Best Lawyers® — Corporate Law, 2013-23; Mergers & Acquisitions Law, 2013-23 (Lawyer of the Year - 2021); Corporate Governance Law, 2014-23 (Lawyer of the Year - 2020, 2023)
- Minnesota Super Lawyers — Securities & Corporate Finance and Mergers & Acquisitions, 2010-19
- Acritas — Star Lawyer, 2018-20
- Minnesota Lawyer — Attorney of the Year, Corporate, 2013
- BTI Client Service All-Star Team (based on survey of Fortune 1000 in-house counsel), 2007