Chambers USA has noted the high esteem of his peers, with one reporting that Doug is “one of the finest lawyers I’ve ever worked with.” Doug is particularly valued for his work in mergers and acquisitions, securities transactions, and other complex corporate matters. He also has the judgment and perspective to address the unexpected and provide informed, practical solutions in acute situations and on an ongoing basis. In the 2021 Chambers guide, Doug is one of only three Corporate/M&A: Securities attorneys in Pennsylvania to receive a “Band 1” designation.
Clients rely on Doug to seamlessly execute the largest, most sophisticated mergers, strategic acquisitions, corporate divestitures, cross-border deals and joint ventures. Whether advising on a multibillion-dollar, debt-and-equity offering on the New York Stock Exchange or a strategic asset sale, Doug prioritizes client goals at every stage of the deal.
Doug has worked extensively in the area of social impact investing. He helped establish (and subsequently served on the board of directors of) one of the leading organizations that provides social impact ratings to investors and other constituencies. He has worked for more than 20 years with Opportunity Finance Network, who works with Community Development Financial Institutions and others to ensure that low-income, low-wealth and other underserved people and communities have access to affordable, responsible financial products and services. He has also provided counsel to boards of directors and others considering forming or converting to a benefit corporation format
Disclosure and Governance Counsel
Doug is an authority on corporate governance, compliance and disclosure issues. He advises boards of directors and special committees on complex governance challenges and on implementation of ESG strategies. Doug writes a regular column on governance matters for Directors & Boards magazine that highlights his pragmatic approach to boardroom issues.
Doug also has a focus on sophisticated family enterprises and is himself an independent (nonfamily) director of a fifth-generation family business with interests in industrial abrasives and related businesses.
- Divestiture of a tank trailer manufacturer for a private equity fund
- Several billion dollars of debt and equity offerings for an NYSE-listed insurance company
- Divestitures of over $1 billion of energy-related infrastructure businesses
- The acquisition for a global technology company of a logistics and services business
- The acquisition of a multi-line catalog retailer for a strategic buyer and subsequent divestitures of that business
- Divestitures for a high tech company of a principal business segment
- The acquisition of property and casualty insurance company
- A dual track (IPO versus auction) process for a private equity seller of a global transportation and logistics company
- Acquisitions of print and media businesses for strategic buyers
- A joint venture between a strategic and financial partner in the energy infrastructure business
- The acquisition of a national retailer for a strategic buyer
- Acquisitions of multiple transportation and logistics companies by a strategic buyer
- A strategic seller of a sophisticated outsourcing business in the technology space
- Private equity buyers in a consolidation of niche manufacturing companies in a highly specialized market
A classics major at Harvard University, Doug had early aspirations of becoming a rare book dealer. In his spare time he hikes and backpacks.