Randy was recognized for his trial victories as a 2012 Minnesota Attorney of the Year. He is the co-editor and contributing author of the acclaimed book, The Secrets to Winning Trade Secret Cases, Thomson West (2009, 2012 and 2016). Randy has served as the co-chair of the Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel for the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota. He has also served on the Federal Practice Committee of the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota and as President of the Minnesota Chapter of the Federal Bar Association. Randy is a former federal law clerk, is a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, and he has been recognized as a leading litigator in Chambers USA, Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America.
Representative Clients: Allianz, Boston Scientific Corporation, Cargill, CarVal, FICO, General Mills, Honeywell, HTI, IBM, Target, United Health Group and Wells Fargo.
- Winning federal jury verdict in favor of a leading medical products manufacturer on trade secret claims
- Winning complete defense verdict in federal trial centering on conspiracy claims
- Winning dismissal in the Southern District of New York of a complaint seeking in excess of $100 million arising out of an alleged international hedge fund trade
- Winning dismissal of a complaint in the Central District of California and prevailing on a subsequent appeal in the Ninth Circuit in a case alleging theft by a Chinese corporation of British trade secrets valued at over $100 million
- Winning complete defense and attorneys' fees award on behalf of Fortune 500 company after week-long arbitration hearing involving $20 million breach of contract claims
- Obtaining favorable resolution following multi-week trial before Delaware Chancery Court involving multimillion-dollar breach of contract and trade secrets claims
- Obtaining favorable resolution on behalf of a Fortune 100 company at the start of trial in a negligence case seeking $5.2 billion plus punitive damages
- Winning complete summary judgment on behalf of a one of the country's leading financial analytics companies in a case involving claims in excess of $25 million
- Executing key trial testimony role in six-year, billion-dollar pharmaceutical trade secret dispute resulting in a permanent injunction (the litigation was featured on page one of the National Law Journal)
Speeches and Publications: Randy has spoken across the country and has published extensively on litigation topics. For more, click here and then "other perspectives."