Joshua Deringer has developed a strong client following for his skill in expanding liquid investment options and implementing innovative structures for private and alternative investment funds. His forward-thinking counsel has made Josh a sought-after attorney for national and international financial services companies involved in all aspects of the investment management industry. Josh leads the firm's investment management practice group.
Fund Operations and Structuring
Josh’s clients include registered investment companies, hedge funds, other alternative investment vehicles and investment advisers. He establishes the legal framework for investment companies, funds of funds, and multiple class and master-feeder funds and counsels them on routine regulatory issues, reorganizations and other matters. Josh’s knowledge of the federal securities rulemaking process puts him in a position to provide comments on proposed industry rules and opinions on federal policymaking.
Josh works with domestic and offshore hedge funds and private equity funds on developing funding and structuring strategies, as well as on their day-to-day operations. Investment management companies and others engage him for counsel on their operations and potential industry mergers and acquisitions.
Boards of directors, officers and others look to Josh for guidance on fund governance, fiduciary duties, best practices, compliance, policies and procedures, and regulatory investigations and inspections. In addition, Josh helps investment advisers manage risk and regulatory issues by drafting compliance policies and procedures, reviewing contracts and managing advertising, soft dollars, trade allocations and securities valuation issues. He advocates for and coaches clients during SEC investigations and inspections.
Josh has competed as a nationally ranked triathlete.
Services & Industries
Fordham University School of Law
J.D. Fordham Law Review (2000)
University of Pennsylvania
Insights & Events
Leadership & Community
- Hedge Fund Association
- Managed Funds Association
- Mid-Atlantic Hedge Fund Association
- Philadelphia Fund Alliance, Steering Committee Member, 2016-present
- Leader, Investment Management Practice Group
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP — Chair, Investment Management Group; Managing Partner, 2017-20
- The Legal 500 — Investment Fund Formation and Management (US) – Mutual/Registered/Exchange-Traded Funds: Leading Lawyer, 2019-22
- Chambers USA — Nationwide, Investment Funds: Registered Funds, 2019-22
- Chambers USA— Nationwide, Investment Funds: Registered Funds,"Recognised Practitioner," 2012-13, 2017-18
- The Legal Intelligencer — Pennsylvania Lawyer on the Fast Track, 2013