Just as no two families are the same, each estate plan reflects the personalities and concerns of the individuals it serves. Lauren gives practical, individual advice about the impact of wealth on future generations. She provides solutions to reduce federal and state tax exposure. She also advises trustees in decanting and modifying irrevocable trusts.
Lauren plans for transferring traditional assets as well as closely held businesses, venture capital funds, partnership interests, real estate holdings, vested and unvested stock options, executive compensation plans, and international assets.
Lauren advises clients on their charitable gifts and provides creative solutions that maximize tax advantages and implement specific goals, including customized gift agreements between clients and charitable institutions.
Lauren works with fiduciaries, such as personal representatives or trustees, to ensure that they succeed in their responsibilities. Lauren prepares clients’ federal and state estate tax returns and represents clients in audits with the IRS and other tax authorities.
Trust and Estate Controversies
For disputes about the interpretation of trusts and wills, breaches of fiduciary duty, guardianships, and many other issues, Lauren draws on her prior litigation and clerkship experience to be an effective advocate. Lauren works with a litigation team to supply skillful analysis and communications to the court and other parties’ counsel. She seeks options to avoid court exposure, including nonjudicial settlement agreements.
Services & Industries
Minnesota Supreme Court, Hon. Lorie S. Gildea, 2008-2009
Notre Dame Law School
J.D. Notre Dame Journal of Law, Ethics & Public Policy (editor-in-chief) (2008)
University of Notre Dame
Insights & Events
Leadership & Community
- Wills for Heroes — Volunteer representing first responders throughout Minnesota in connection with their estate plans
- Equal Protection — Appeared before the Minnesota Court of Appeals and Minnesota Supreme Court as special counsel for Minnesota's Appellate Public Defender's Office in equal protection case
- First Amendment — Appeared before the Chief Judge of the District of Minnesota in First Amendment case and negotiated settlement resulting in favorable dismissal
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Best Lawyers®— "Ones to Watch," Trusts and Estates, 2021-22
- Faegre Baker Daniels — Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2015-16