Over the course of his career, Joe has represented directors and officers in fiduciary duty cases, handled disputes involving corporate governance and control, and litigated statutory proceedings arising under the Delaware General Corporation Law — namely, actions for appraisal and stockholders and directors’ demands for books and records.
Joe is a trusted advocate in the courtroom — a fact proven by the breadth and depth of his experience. Among his many noteworthy appearances, Joe:
- Serves as counsel to a special litigation committee appointed to investigate and direct the disposition of derivative claims on behalf of a privately held Delaware limited partnership
- Represented public company directors in connection with a class and derivative action brought by stockholders, eventually settling the case after trial
- Represented a special committee of directors in connection with a sale of assets of a subsidiary contract security company
- Represented a Delaware electrical utility and large energy company in connection with regulatory approval of a merger by the Delaware Public Service Commission (PSC)
- Represented stockholders in connection with earn-out claims related to the purchase of their private oilfield services company for $64 million
- Served as the principal Delaware counsel for major federal antitrust litigation in the District Court for the District of Delaware
Joe served as an attorney and chief legal counsel to the Delaware Governor’s Office, where he advised the governor, her cabinet and senior agency personnel on legal issues. He also coordinated with the Delaware General Assembly on policy issues, assisted in the development and implementation of legislative and policy agendas, and oversaw important litigation involving the state.