Charlie Rodriguez partners with construction and real estate stakeholders to mitigate risk, resolve disputes and facilitate smooth project completion. After externing for Northern District of Illinois Federal District Court Judge Der-Yeghiayan in law school, Charlie spent more than seven years in various in-house roles at Walsh Construction, one of the largest contractors in the United States, before joining Faegre Drinker. Charlie has an in-depth understanding of the transactional, litigation, regulatory and compliance demands that accompany any major project, and he helps clients anticipate, prepare for and resolve these challenges.
During his time in-house, Charlie gained experience in various areas of law and provided legal support for a number of projects, including:
- Served as co-lead contract manager for the $4 billion LaGuardia Airport Central Terminal Building Redevelopment Project, where he advised on compliance with state and federal public-private partnership (P3) requirements, advised on risk and claim management and negotiated terms for the Requirements and Provisions for Work.
- Advised as contract manager for the $800 million Pennsylvania Rapid Bridge Replacement Project, in coordination with outside counsel and joint venture partner counsel, for contract negotiations to ensure timely completion.
- Counseled Business Group Leaders on Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) small business requirements company-wide which included overseeing the project goal determination, Small Business Plan establishment, implementing best compliance practices and ensuring compliant government reporting for all of the company’s federal projects.
- Managed Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) compliance as EEO officer and assistant project manager on $120 million high-rise project, including negotiating subcontract documents, change orders and investigating/resolving all EEO incidents.
Services & Industries
Notre Dame Law School
University of Chicago
B.A. in English, with honors (2011)
Insights & Events
Leadership & Community
- Faegre Drinker — Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2022
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Misericordia — Volunteer, Chicago, IL, November 2005-present
- American Bar Association Forum on Construction Law Diversity Fellowship Recipient, 2022-25
- Chicago Notre Dame Alumni Club Scholarship, 2011
- University of Chicago’s Police and Fireman Scholarship, 2007