Real Estate Development and Redevelopment
Andy counsels developers and other clients on the land development approvals process for a diverse array of projects, including multifamily residential, mixed use, industrial, office and retail. He represents clients before municipal governing bodies, zoning and planning boards, and other boards and commissions throughout New Jersey in connection with land development applications and rezonings. He advises on compliance with state statutes and regulations governing land development and guides clients through the maze of permits and approvals required from counties, regional authorities and the State of New Jersey.
Andy also helps clients capitalize on opportunities under New Jersey’s Local Redevelopment and Housing Law. He advises on the designation of areas in need of redevelopment, negotiates and drafts redevelopment agreements and structures, negotiates and drafts financial agreements for payments in lieu of taxes (PILOT) pursuant to New Jersey’s Long Term Tax Exemption Law and Five Year Exemption and Abatement Law.
- Obtained bifurcated, Use Variance and Site Plan Approval for a 200+ unit multi-family residential apartment building in Parsippany, New Jersey
- Represents the redeveloper of the Speedwell Avenue Redevelopment project in Morristown New Jersey, a multi-phase, mixed-use redevelopment project, which upon full build out will consist of approximately 650 residential units, 35,000 square feet of commercial space, structured parking, public open space, and significant road, sewer, water and other infrastructure improvements
- Represents the redeveloper of the Gateway Business Park in Oldmans Township, New Jersey in connection with the development of a 2 million square foot industrial/warehouse project
- Represented the redeveloper of 200+ unit multi-family residential redevelopment projects in Plainfield and Maplewood, New Jersey, including the designation of areas in need of redevelopment, adoption of Redevelopment Plans, obtaining site plan approval and negotiating Redevelopment Agreements and Financial Agreements
- Negotiated a Redevelopment Agreement and Financial Agreement for “The MC” hotel, a boutique, luxury hotel in Montclair, New Jersey
- Negotiated a Redevelopment Agreement and Financial Agreement for a 600‐700 megawatt natural gas fueled power plant in Woodbridge, NJ
Real Estate Transactions and Leasing
Andy represents clients in the purchase and sale of all types of real estate. He has particular experience in land acquisition and assemblage for development and land use due diligence for the acquisition of complex development and redevelopment projects. Andy also represents landlords and tenants in lease transactions.
- Represented developer in the acquisition of land for a 324 unit multi-family residential apartment community on the Hudson River in Yonkers, New York. The land is ground leased from the Yonkers Industrial Development Agency.
- Represented developer in the acquisition of land for a 366 unit multi-family residential apartment building in Jersey City, New Jersey.
- Represented an owner/manager of multi‐family residential properties in connection with the sale of a 144‐unit apartment complex in Mercer County, N.J. and the simultaneous acquisition of a 92‐unit apartment complex in Orange County, N.Y. The transaction included a collateral swap under an existing multi‐property credit facility owned by Freddie Mac. The acquired property included low-income housing funded by a Housing Trust Fund Corporation grant, NYHMFA financing and Low Income Housing Tax Credits and required approval by both HTFC and HMFA.
- Represented an industrial tenant in connection with the $30 million acquisition of its 450,000 square foot manufacturing facility in Essex County, N.J., and the assumption of approximately $25 million in debt encumbering the property.
- Represented the purchaser of an approximately 142,000 square foot warehouse/distribution facility.
- Represented the seller of an approximately 80,000 square foot industrial/manufacturing facility.
- Represented the seller of a 10-tenant strip mall in Riverhead, New York.
- Represented the landlord in connection with a long term movie theater lease with the second largest theater chain owner/operator in the United States. The lease involved the substantial renovation of an existing theater within a million plus square foot mixed use (office/retail/hotel) project in Morristown, New Jersey.
- Represented landlord in connection with the lease of approximately 25,000 square feet of warehouse space to a Fortune 100 user for a cold storage distribution facility.
- Represented tenant in connection with the lease of approximately 15,000 square feet of office space in New York City.
- Represented the tenant in connection with the lease of 50,000 square feet of industrial space in Indiana.
- Represents the owner of a chain of rock climbing gyms (as tenant) in connection with long term leases for their facilities. The leases typically include an approvals contingency and provisions for the gym’s extensive specialized tenant improvements.
Land Use Litigation
When development projects are denied by an approving authority or challenged by third-party objectors, Andy represents clients in the ensuing land use litigation in the courts.