Jim works with funds and other distressed players that regularly participate in bankruptcy cases and other situations involving financial distress. Creditor clients value his ability to develop novel strategies to pursue their rights against well-funded groups or other stakeholders elsewhere in the capital structure. He also frequently represents official unsecured creditor committees, and debtors in bankruptcy negotiations.
Jim is frequently at the forefront of bankruptcy law. One precedent-setting case involved a legal theory he helped develop on the Trust Indenture Act during his representation of a group of bondholders in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of Caesars Entertainment Corporation. Other law firms have subsequently adopted the theory that heavily influenced the outcome of the case on bondholders’ challenge to Caesar’s attempt to release guarantees of the bonds without their consent.
- Represented ad hoc group of senior secured lenders in Longview Power LLC Chapter 11 bankruptcy case
- Represented ad hoc group of bondholders of Maxcom Telecom
- Represented ad hoc group of bondholders of SunEdison Inc.
- Represented bondholder of Nuverra Environmental Solutions, Inc. in a confirmation objection and appeal
- Represented ad hoc noteholders group in jointly-administered Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases of Woodbridge Group of Companies LLC
- Represents bondholders in litigation arising from restructuring of Cleveland Unlimited
- Represented first lien bondholders/indenture trustee of Energy Future Intermediate Holding Company LLC
- Represented indenture trustee as special counsel in Norske Skog exchange-offer litigation
- Represented unsecured bondholders of Caesars Entertainment Operating Company, Inc.
- Represented certain bondholders of Suntech Power Holdings Co, Ltd.
- Represented the creditors' committee of Frontier Airlines
- Represented the bondholders of AtheroGenics who commenced an involuntary bankruptcy against the company
- Represented the Canadian affiliates of Calpine Corporation in the Chapter 11 cases of their U.S. affiliates and in related claims objections and avoidance actions involving hundreds of millions of dollars in claims
- Represented Travel Centers of America in distressed acquisition of Quaker Steak and Lube
- Represented the LSTA, SIFMA, and ISDA as amici in the Enron Transferee Litigation
Jim is a licensed commercial pilot.