Bruce Jones is a skilled and experienced litigation and appellate tactician. Bruce concentrates his work on creating tailored legal arguments and identifying innovative avenues of potential relief for defendants facing claims with serious monetary and corporate consequences. A founding member of the firm’s appellate advocacy practice, Bruce brings particularly deep knowledge and experience to actions involving product liability, pharmaceuticals and medical devices, consumer fraud, and the environment.
Pretrial, Posttrial & Appellate Experience
For over 30 years, Bruce has focused his practice on mass tort and appellate litigation in state and federal courts around the country. Significant posttrial and appellate decisions include:
- Kline v. Zimmer, Inc., 79 Cal. App. 5th 123, 294 Cal. Rptr. 3d 500 (2022), review denied (Aug. 31, 2022) (establishing for first time under California law that defendant that does not bear the burden of proof on causation may offer alternative-cause evidence that does not itself establish causation to a reasonable medical probability).
- Cortez v. Cook Inc., 27 F.4th 563 (7th Cir. 2022) (holding that statute of repose for product liability action was not subject to equitable tolling based on fraudulent concealment).
- In re Cook Med., Inc., 27 F.4th 539 (7th Cir. 2022) (holding party who failed to take timely action due to excusable neglect may not seek relief under Rule 60(b)(6)’s catch-all provision).
- In re Cook Med., Inc., IVC Filters Mktg., Sales Pracs. & Prod. Liab. Litig., 431 F. Supp. 3d 1033 (S.D. Ind. 2020) (granting new trial based on severe prejudicial effect of mistakenly admitted evidence).
- C.C. by & through Camarata v. Polaris Indus., Inc., 774 F. App’x 45, 47 (2d Cir. 2019) (affirming denial of new trial after defense verdict, rejecting arguments addressing crashworthiness, intervening causation and evidentiary rulings).
In addition to his long experience in briefing and oral argument, Bruce has conducted wide-ranging appellate motion practice, pursued and resisted petitions for extraordinary writs of mandamus and prohibition, and sought and opposed discretionary appeals. Bruce serves as the head of the law and briefing teams in multiple mass torts and multidistrict litigation courts. In that role, Bruce also consults extensively on trial court tactics for litigants in state and federal courts, advising and guiding on anticipated appeals, motions, jury instructions and other arguments directed to preserving issues for appeal.
Bruce has a master of fine arts degree in playwriting from the University of Iowa Playwrights Workshop and teaches college classes in playwriting. Bruce is also a longtime comic book collector, specializing in comic books published between 1842 and 1938.
Services & Industries
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota
U.S. District Court for the District of South Dakota
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, Hon. Charles E. Wiggins, 1985-1986
University of Minnesota Law School
J.D. magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Law Review (managing editor) (1985)
University of Iowa
Mankato State University
B.S. summa cum laude (1977)
Insights & Events
- Eighth Circuit Appellate Practice Manual
Chapters on Standing and Sanctions, Editions 1-6
- Tort Law Desk Reference, A Fifty-State Compendium
Minnesota chapter, 2009-2018 editions
- Petitions for Discretionary Review and Petitions for Extraordinary Writs
Firm Blog Contributions
- Faegre Drinker on Products – a blog addressing all things product liability that covers legal issues and developments of interest to product manufacturers and their employers
Leadership & Community
- Minnesota State Bar Association — Appellate Section, Executive Council, 2000-06
- Warren E. Burger American Inn of Court — 1989-2023; President, Executive Committee
- Minnesota Rules of Civil Procedure — Advisory Committee, 2022-23
- Minnesota Rules of Civil Appellate Procedure — Advisory Committee, 2008-22
- Minnesota Juvenile Rules Committee — Expedited Appeals Subcommittee, 2008
- American Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Chambers USA — Minnesota, Litigation: Appellate, 2019-22
- JD Supra — Readers' Choice Awards, 2017
- Faegre Drinker — Baker Benson Pro Bono Award, 2015; Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2014-16, 2018-20, 2022
- Best Lawyers® — Appellate Practice, 2011-15, 2017-23; Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Defendants, 2012, 2015-23 (Lawyer of the Year, 2017, 2019); Product Liability Litigation, 2013, 2015-23
- Legal 500 — Recognized as a leading lawyer for Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense: Pharmaceutical and Medical Devices, 2007
- Minnesota Law & Politics — Super Lawyer, Appellate Practice (multiple years)