Nick assists clients with establishing import operations, from the development of internal controls through the planning and execution of post-entry audit processes. He also conducts compliance reviews of existing customs practices, including the enhancement of customs procedures and training company personnel on import-related topics.
Customs Investigations and Trade Compliance
Nick represents clients undergoing U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)-focused assessments and penalty investigations. He has significant experience drafting prior disclosures, prepenalty petitions, mitigation petitions, ruling requests on various issues and formal protests relating to the importation of merchandise into the United States.
Nick regularly assists clients with international customs compliance issues. He has significant experience with customs compliance requirements for maquiladora manufacturing operations in Mexico, as well as with tariff classification and country of origin determinations worldwide.
Nick is fluent in Spanish and has conducted compliance reviews in Latin America and has provided Spanish-language training and advice to company personnel.
- Represented a manufacturing company in the administrative challenge of a tariff classification determination before U.S. Customs and Border Protection headquarters
- Led a team of international employees through a multifaceted winding down of Mexican maquiladora operations
- Assisted a client in obtaining a binding ruling from U.S. Customs and Border Protection validating an alternative valuation methodology for engineering assists
- Represented a large produce client in a prior disclosure related to inaccurate preferential claims under the Dominican Republic-Central America Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA-DR)
- Assisted client in the development and execution of an internal post-entry audit program