Justin’s experience includes a variety of complex commercial and insurance litigation matters, including business tort and contract disputes; consumer class actions; non-compete, trade secret and other restrictive covenant disputes; products liability suits; and arbitrations before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). Justin has first-chaired arbitrations, second-chaired both jury and bench trials, assisted with high-profile national trials, and has extensive experience in New York and New Jersey state and federal courts. Justin’s perspective as a former law clerk has served him well in obtaining numerous dismissals at the trial level. Clients are aware of Justin’s track record and often come to him to handle matters that require a seasoned litigator and trial counsel.
As a trusted advisor, Justin collaborates with clients to achieve advantageous results by understanding their business and financial goals. He helps clients avoid the costs of trial through successful motion practice and by negotiating settlements favorable to his clients’ objectives. Clients rely on Justin to strategically analyze and address the legal disputes in a timely and practical fashion. Clients have consistently recognized Justin’s ability to present a clear and thorough analysis of the issues at stake as well as problem-solve to develop creative and cost-effective solutions.
Justin is a member of the firm’s financial services industry team and represents brokerage firms and individual registered representatives in both industry and customer disputes. Justin defends claims brought in both state court and Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitrations, including allegations of sales practice violations such as fraud, breach of contract, misrepresentation and unsuitability. He also defends clients in product-related litigation stemming from variable annuities and alternative investment products. Justin has developed a unique expertise in defending financial institutions against allegations of negligence, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty in estate-related proceedings.
In addition to litigation, Justin assists with regulatory inquiries, such as responding to requests by the CFP Board.
Justin was designated a Best Lawyers® inaugural “Ones to Watch” for Banking and Finance Law in 2021 and 2022.
- Secured dismissal in New Jersey state court of multi-million dollar claims against one of the largest brokerage firms in the United States by developing novel legal arguments and leveraging an evolving legal landscape to his client’s advantage.
- Successfully defended a Minority Business Enterprise, institutional financial services firm in a multi-day, virtual FINRA arbitration in which a former employer alleged fraudulent inducement in hiring, fraud and misrepresentation.
- Successfully defended one of the largest independent broker-dealers in the United States in a multi-day, in-person FINRA arbitration in which claimant alleged misrepresentation, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and failure to supervise.
- Secured early dismissal of fraud and conversion claims against brokerage firm in New York state court.
- Successfully tried a FINRA arbitration on behalf of a brokerage firm to recover the defaulted loans made to a former broker.
- First-chaired a FINRA arbitration on behalf of a brokerage firm in a matter against a former broker and secured full compensatory damages and attorneys’ fees.
- Successfully negotiated multiple settlements on behalf of brokerage firms and their claims against former financial advisors for breach of contract/promissory note.
Litigation and Business Disputes
Justin is ready to collaborate and prosecute or defend any litigation the client needs. He has experience in all aspects of litigation.
- Second-chaired a three-week, New Jersey state court bench trial and secured a substantial victory on behalf of plaintiff-clients in real estate dispute, securing full compensatory damages, treble damages and attorneys’ fees.
- Secured preliminary-injunction against former executive of Fortune 100 company in violation of his non-compete and non-solicitation obligations.
- Successfully secured summary judgment or negotiated highly-favorable settlements on behalf of industrial valve manufacturer concerning multiple claims by individual plaintiffs alleging asbestos exposure.
- Represented a Fortune 50 company in various New Jersey state court matters alleging injury caused by exposure to asbestos. Also assisted a multi-law firm, national trial team to defend allegations of asbestos exposure against the client in a high-profile New Jersey state court litigation.
- Represented home healthcare agency in various breach of contract matters, securing favorable settlements in each, as well as a bench-trial judgment in New York state court.
- Represented landlord of multi-family residential building against New York Human Rights Commission alleging discrimination.
- Secured multiple settlements and judgments against commercial tenants for breach of contract.
- Successfully represented developer in New Jersey prerogative writs action challenging a municipality’s site plan approval and extension.
- Secured summary judgment on behalf of plaintiff-client telecommunications company against corporate customer for breach of contract.
- Secured seven-figure settlement on behalf of plaintiff-client injured in an automobile accident.
- Assisted the firm’s food and agribusiness industry team in defending claims in New Jersey and New York federal courts concerning alleged food-borne illness associated with client’s products.
- Assisted the firm’s insurance coverage defense team in proceedings in the U.S. District Court of the District of New Jersey.
- Researched and drafted briefs analyzing complex legal issues in dozens of cases in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Delaware state trial courts; before the New Jersey Appellate Division and New Jersey Supreme Court; for the Federal District Courts for the District of New Jersey, Southern District of New York, Eastern District of New York and District of Connecticut; before the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and Third Circuit; and before the United States Supreme Court.
- Counseled clients at dozens of settlement conferences and mediations, including mediations through state court programs, through FINRA and American Arbitration Association programs, and before court-appointed and private mediators.
- Justin maintains an active pro bono practice, dedicating hundreds of hours to pro bono projects since joining the firm. His experience includes briefing complex Constitutional issues to the New Jersey and United States Supreme Courts. He also represented an incarcerated individual in a federal civil jury trial in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
- Represented multiple families, financial institutions, charitable foundations and trusts in proceedings before the New York Surrogate's Court and New Jersey Chancery Court, Probate Division. Representation includes: litigation and disputes involving trusts; decedents’ estates and conservatorships; will and trust contests; breach of fiduciary duty and removal of fiduciary claims; demands for accountings; contested guardianships; and interpretation of testamentary instruments, principally representing trust and estate beneficiaries.
While in law school, Justin was a judicial intern to the Honorable Susan D. Wigenton for the U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, as well as an extern to Justice Barry T. Albin for the New Jersey Supreme Court. Justin developed his legal reasoning, writing and oral advocacy skills through Seton Hall University School of Law’s Appellate Advocacy Moot Court Board program. He was also a member of the law school’s preeminent Impact Litigation Clinic — which represents indigent clients before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit — and he successfully negotiated a favorable settlement for his client with the United States government.
Justin was a summer associate with the firm in 2013. Following graduation from law school, Justin clerked for the Honorable Lisa F. Chrystal for the Superior Court of New Jersey.
Prior to law school, Justin participated in Teach for America, teaching inner-city middle school youth in St. Louis, Missouri. He is also an Eagle Scout with the Boy Scouts of America.