Business litigation partner Tracey Salmon-Smith and associate Justin Ginter coauthored an article for the Practising Law Institute (PLI) Chronicle titled “So Your Adversary Is a Jerk…” that outlines five tips for lawyers when working with a difficult adversary.
The five pieces of advice the authors discuss are:
- Know with whom you are dealing.
- Establish your professionalism and willingness to cooperate from the beginning.
- Let writings come back to haunt them.
- Do not let the behavior persist.
- Depositions bring out the worst in unprofessional litigators.