Clients value Patrick for his creative and highly commercial approach, particularly in complex situations. In Chambers UK 2020, clients attest that Patrick “always thinks outside the box…he’s very creative, always commercial, and he’s found a way to execute our deals seamlessly. He really helps us to understand the risks, and he comes up with creative solutions that are backed by technical precision.” Patrick is widely recognized as a leader in his field by leading legal industry publications including Chambers UK, Chambers Europe, Chambers Global and IFLR 1000, among others.
Patrick regularly lectures on issues of European and international insolvency/restructuring law and practice to banks, noteholders, in-house counsel and accountants. He has presented at the Insolvency Lawyers Conference, INSOL Europe’s Annual Conference, and the National Bankruptcy Judges Conference in the United States.
Patrick’s recent representations include:
A debtor in relation to restructuring and bankruptcy proceedings in Luxembourg and Jersey.
A creditor in relation to the restructuring of Intu Properties Plc.
Advising a banknote supplier and creditor in relation to the restructuring of foreign exchange company Northwood Investors in its acquisition of Five Acre Square.
- A creditor in relation to its position in the Thomas Cook proposed refinancing and eventual liquidation.
- A creditor in relation to its position in a casino refinancing.
- Acting for Simon Appell of AlixPartners and Eleanor Fisher of Kalo in their capacity as joint provisional liquidators of Ocean Rig UDW in its successful restructuring of approximately US$3.8 billion of financial indebtedness – one of the world’s largest-ever restructurings. The restructuring was implemented through four separate and interconnected Cayman Islands-law governed schemes of arrangement along with Chapter 15 recognition.
- Represented the Joint Provisional Liquidators of Arcapita Investment Holdings Limited in Chapter 11 proceedings in the United States and provisional liquidation in Cayman. Arcapita was a leading global manager of Shari’ah-compliant alternative investments.
- Acted for LDK Solar and the Cayman Court Provisional Liquidators in connection with the groups’ global restructuring which was the first judicially approved multijurisdictional debt restructuring of a China based company.
- Acting for the Bahamian Provisional Liquidators and Liquidators of various Baha Mar entities.
- Working with the Bahamian government and the receiver-managers.
- Advising the lender side in relation to the restructuring of Pacific Andes Resources Development Limited (PARD), China Fishery International Limited (CFIL) and certain subsidiaries of PARD and China Fishery Group Limited (CFGL), and in relation to the ongoing Chapter 11 and multijurisdictional proceedings.
Additional representative matters on which Patrick has previously advised include:
- Representing AlixPartners in its capacity as interim manager of the Abraaj Growth Markets Health Fund, L.P., a major holding of Abraaj Holdings, a Dubai-based private equity group.
- Advising Special Liquidator of Irish Bank Corporation Limited (in Special Liquidation) Quinn Finance in respect to a complex cross-border settlement relating to the Quinn group liquidation.
- Advising Bank of America NA with reference to its exposure to Thomas Cook Group PLC in relation to loan facilities, hedging and credit card services.
- Acting for the lender in the restructuring of EnQuest PLC, the UK-based oil and gas producer.
- Acting for the lender with respect to the proposed restructuring of BIS Finance Pty Limited, an Australian mining logistics portfolio company.
- Restructuring of the junior debt and refinancing of a senior debt in Viridian Group by a High-Yield Bond issue. Viridian, which is headquartered in Belfast, is a leading independent energy company in the all-Ireland market.
- Acting for the global senior lender concerning Parmalat SpA’s extraordinary administration in Italy and liquidation in Ireland. Notably, the European Court of Justice was asked to consider, for the first time, certain provisions of the EU Regulation on Insolvency Proceedings as a consequence of conflicting decisions of the Irish and Italian courts.
- Representing BRAC Rent-a-Car International, Inc., and the administrators in Chapter 11 proceedings in the United States and administration proceedings in England (the court confirmed for the first time that the provisions of the EU Regulation on Insolvency Proceedings No. 1346/2000 applied to a U.S.-registered company).
- Restructuring of the Cordiant group of companies.
- Representing the Federal Mogul Corporation and group of companies in Chapter 11 proceedings in the U.S. and administration proceedings in England.
- Acting for Owens Corning in Chapter 11 proceedings in the USA.
- Representing Sea Containers Ltd. in Chapter 11 proceedings in the USA and provisional liquidation in Bermuda (the case introduced the concept of "light touch" provisional liquidation).
- Representing the Senior Subordinated Noteholders in the out-of-court restructuring of Orion SIV.
- Acting for various counterparties to transactions with Lehman Brothers International (Europe) in
- Representing the senior lender committee in connection with TI Automotive Group’s restructuring and scheme of arrangement.
- Acting for the Facility Agent and certain senior lenders in the restructuring of Ideal Standard International Acquisition S.à r.l.
- Restructuring various companies within the Regus Group.
- Acting for the senior creditor committee in the restructuring of TI Automotive group.
- Acting for the Administrators of Titan Outdoor Advertising Limited (in administration).
- Acting for the debtor/issuer in connection with the G.R.A.N.D. plc scheme of arrangement.
- Acting for Smurfit Stone in Chapter 11 proceedings in the United States and in the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA) proceedings in Canada.