Florham Park partner Sandy Grannum will moderate a panel discussion entitled “Elder Abuse and Elder Exploitation Cases” at the New York State Bar Association’s (NYSBA) Securities Arbitration and Mediation conference. Panelists include Jack Duval of Accelerant LLC, Timothy O’Connor from the Law Offices of Timothy J. O’Connor, and Aegis Frumento of Stern Tannenbaum & Bell LLP.
Panelists will answer oft-asked questions about what constitutes elder abuse, take a deep dive into cases related to elder abuse and elder exploitation, and discuss how often these cases are brought to arbitration. They will also cover practical issues such as:
- Why brokerage firms maintain these sensitive accounts.
- How brokerage firms supervise them.
- FINRA and state statutes that deal with such clients.
- How to determine the merits of the claims of elderly and possibly mentally infirm customers.
- How defense attorneys can overcome the inherent sympathy for such customers.
- Best practices for directing examination and implementing effective cross-examination of elderly customers.
- Examples of elder customer claimant cases that lose and the reasons why.
Learn more about the Securities Arbitration and Mediation Conference at the NYSBA website.