John is a trial attorney with first- and second-chair trial experience in state and federal courts. He tries cases to verdict in such areas as product liability, antitrust, privacy rights, toxic torts, land use and catastrophic injury/wrongful death. John also acts as national coordinating counsel in mass tort litigations for various pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers and works extensively on company witness preparation and science matters involving experts in the fields of cardiology, toxicology, epidemiology, pharmacokinetics and similar specialties.
John’s product liability defense work focuses on defending U.S. and foreign medical device, pharmaceutical and automotive manufacturers in nationwide and multidistrict litigation. He defends pharmaceutical manufacturers in actions brought by state attorneys general alleging violations of state deceptive trade practices and unfair business practices. John also defends allegations involving off-label marketing of prescription medications and claims alleging improper sales and promotional activities.
John’s commercial litigation practice involves defending class actions and claims involving unfair competition, false advertising, California Business and Professions Codes § 17200 and § 17500, antitrust, False Claims Act (qui tam actions), misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duty, environmental issues, and insurance coverage disputes. John has first-chair trial experience focused on violations of California's Unfair Competition Law, False Advertising Law and Consumer Legal Remedies Act, and CCPA. He successfully defends consumer class actions brought under these statutes by private parties and public entities.
- National Coordinating Counsel for OTC Manufacturer sued in MDL litigation involving phenylpropanolamine (PPA)
- National Counsel in defending antipsychotic medicine manufacturer in numerous state attorneys general cases
- National Counsel role in defending mass tort litigation involving allegations of off-label promotion of antipsychotic medications
- Regional counsel in defense of latex glove litigation
- Regional counsel and trial counsel for automotive manufacturer in catastrophic injury and wrongful death cases
- Regional counsel and trial counsel for industrial product manufacturer in catastrophic injury cases
John and his wife, Beth, live in San Francisco where they have raised three children. They enjoy traveling, hiking and skiing.