Jessica Benson Cox is a trial lawyer skilled at representing clients in personal injury cases involving complex issues of science and medicine. She has defended clients in matters involving traumatic brain injuries, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, consumer products and digital platforms. Jessica also currently serves as co-chair of the firm's pharmaceutical and medical device practice team.
Mass Tort Experience
Jessica has more than 15 years of experience defending clients involved in mass tort litigation. She currently co-leads an MDL in the Southern District of Indiana and has overseen the science and expert strategy in mass torts involving local anesthetics, orthopedic products and cardiovascular devices. She has developed strategies for bellwether trial selection, successfully pursued screening orders leading to the dismissal of hundreds of cases, overseen inventory and individual settlement negotiations, and helped to streamline and automate discovery and motion practice to maximize efficiencies for clients in large-scale litigation.
Named a Law360 rising star for product liability in large part due to her work on bellwether trials, Jessica devotes a large portion of her practice to trying cases involving complex medical issues. Her Midwestern roots make her versatile in the courtroom, and she has tried cases in multiple jurisdictions across the country. Her focus on science and experts makes her uniquely suited to prepare, direct and cross experts at trial, and Jessica’s extensive past work with jury consultants allows her to fully prepare inexperienced witnesses, both on substantive issues and how best to connect with the jury. Jessica is often asked to help prepare first-time experts for testimony at trial.
Jessica has defended cases involving a wide range of products, including but not limited to:
- Local anesthetics
- Polypropylene mesh
- Orthopedic devices
- Cardiovascular implants
- Digital platforms
- Consumer goods
- Vitamins and supplements
Jessica and her team focus on early and aggressive motion practice, and have achieved dismissals through motion practice under the laws of 21 different states.
Jessica also counsels pharmaceutical companies regarding unique product liability considerations relevant to biologics and biosimilar products, and regarding compliance with state and federal restrictions on the marketing of pharmaceutical products.
U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
Case Western Reserve University School of Law
J.D. cum laude, Law Review (articles editor) (2006)
B.S. in Child Development and Psychology, magna cum laude (2003)
Insights & Events
- Tips for Learning the Learned Treatise Exception
Co-author, Mass Torts Litigation Newsletter, American Bar Association, April 2018
- Liability Issues Surrounding Biosimilars
Co-presenter, IU McKinney School of Law Annual Continuing Legal Education Program, September 2016
- Biosimilars: What Are They and What Does the Future Hold?
Current Issues in Pharmaceutical, Medical Device and Biotech Litigation, American Bar Association, New York, October 2015
Firm Blog Contributions
- Faegre Drinker on Products – a blog addressing all things product liability that covers legal issues and developments of interest to product manufacturers and their employers
Leadership & Community
- American Bar Association — Section of Litigation (Pharmaceutical Subcommittee, Medical Device Subcommittee, Biotech Subcommittee)
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Product Liability Law360 Editorial Advisory Board, 2020
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Indiana State Chapter — Board of Directors, 2012-present (Promise Gala Co-chair, 2014)
- Vanderbilt University Alumni Association — Alumni Interviewer, 2006-present
- Dress for Success Indianapolis — Steering Committee Annual Fundraiser, 2008-13
- Women's Fund of Indiana — OPTIONS Class 8, 2008
- Law360 — Rising Star, Product Liability, 2019
- Indianapolis Business Journal — Forty Under 40, 2018
- Indiana State Bar Association — Outstanding Young Lawyer, 2015
- Indiana Super Lawyers — Rising Star, General Litigation, 2015, 2017-20; Personal Injury - Products: Defense, 2016
- Indiana Lawyer — Up and Coming Lawyer Award, 2014
- Faegre Baker Daniels — Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2016