As employees, business leaders and travelers begin to adapt to the U.K.’s post-Brexit immigration system, a strong grasp of the most commonly used visa categories — including new visas established as a result of Brexit — is essential. In this entry of the U.K. Immigration Video Series, Trainee Solicitor Christopher Jefferies provides an overview of the U.K.’s newly created skilled worker visa, which replaced the Tier 2 (General) work visa category.
In the video, Christopher answers the following questions:
- For whom is the skilled worker visa suitable?
- What are the main requirements that must be met to apply for a skilled worker visa?
- How long does it take to apply for and obtain a skilled worker visa?
- What are the main fees (as of January 2021) that need to be paid in connection with a skilled worker visa?
- What is the validity period of a skilled worker visa?
- What happens after the visa is granted?
- Can a person switch to the skilled worker visa in the U.K.?
- Can a visa holder’s partner and children apply to join them in the U.K. as dependents?