Navigating the Challenges of Food Price Gouging Claims
Bite-Sized Legal Food Webinar Series
Hungry for the latest food law insights and developments?
Our Bite-Sized Legal food webinar series is just the thing to satisfy your appetite. Sessions highlight recent litigation trends and regulatory updates relevant to your day-to-day operations.
The pandemic ushered in many price gouging lawsuits. Price gouging law generally is tethered around state statutes and makes it illegal for individuals and companies to take advantage of a disaster by offering food or other necessities at “exorbitant” or “excessive” prices.
- But what constitutes “exorbitant” or “excessive” pricing?
- Do the statutes always define those or similar words?
- Which price is appropriate to compare to the disaster-time pricing?
- How do we know when the disaster has ended?
- Do price gouging statutes sufficiently account for pricing cycles in commodity markets?
- What if a company sells items to a buyer who distributes them to multiple states, each defining “exorbitant” and “excessive” differently, or sometimes not at all?
Join us to discuss the complexities of price gouging law, how it applies (or doesn’t) and ideas about navigating those risks.
Hungry for more? View more sessions in this series.
Questions? Please contact Mesha Hegna Goodwill or call +1 612 766 7145.
Continuing Education Credit
This program will be sent to the following state bars requesting approval: CA, CO, CT, DE, IA, IL, IN, MN, NJ, NY, PA, TX and VA.
All approvals are at the decision of the state bar based on content and deadlines.
No applications are currently pending.
The CLE provider for this event, CEU Institute (national CLE provider) will seek 1.0 hour General Law credit for this program.
Please check back closer to the event date for updated credit information.