Mike counsels clients in the United States, Asia and Europe on data privacy, governance and security, and crisis management, and he coordinates cross-border trial issues and discovery involving multidistrict proceedings and highly regulated industries. He is an elected member of the Products Liability Advisory Council and the International Association of Defense Counsel, a member of the Board of Directors for the Trial Attorneys of America, and a Trustee of the Trial Attorneys of New Jersey. He frequently contributes to journals and industry panel discussions on existing and emerging topics in life sciences, trial advocacy, cross-border litigation and product liability law. Mike serves on the faculty of the National Trial Advocacy College at the University of Virginia School of Law, and has lectured on trial ethics for practitioners at Fordham University School of Law.
Product Liability, Mass Tort Multidistrict, and Aggregated Litigation
Mike has significant experience defending major pharmaceutical, medical device, life sciences, biotechnology and chemical companies in product liability actions filed by consumer and government parties alleging:
- Failure to warn
- Strict liability
- Design and manufacturing defects
- Consumer protection
- Breach of warranty
- Wrongful death
- Punitive damages
Mike’s product experience includes defending prescription medications, over-the-counter products, orthopaedic implants and other medical devices before state and federal courts and in mass tort, class action, attorney general and multidistrict proceedings. He has served as lead, liaison, U.S. discovery and Japanese discovery counsel in litigations throughout the United States.
International Privacy, Security and E-Discovery
Multinational clients value Mike’s deep experience handling cross-border e-discovery issues. He advises on the EU’s General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), Japan’s Act on the Protection of Personal Information, and other foreign privacy laws. He counsels clients on discovery issues, document and data preservation requirements, proportionality considerations and privilege protections. He also partners with business units to respond to trial and discovery issues expediently and efficiently.
Intellectual Property and Antitrust Litigation
Mike has a broad range of trial and appellate experience representing pharmaceutical and life sciences companies in patent infringement, Robinson-Patman Act, false marking, trade secret, intellectual property and antitrust actions in federal courts and multidistrict proceedings.
Complex Commercial Litigation
Mike has defended large law and accounting firms in professional liability actions, and hospitals and health care organizations in tortious interference, unfair competition, civil conspiracy and ERISA litigation before courts and administrative agencies. He has also represented corporate clients in business disputes, commercial, employment, insurance coverage, environmental and real estate litigation matters.
- Appointed Liaison Counsel for U.S. and Japanese pharmaceutical defendants in SGLT2 inhibitor federal products liability Multidistrict Litigation
- Appointed Liaison Counsel for U.S. and Japanese pharmaceutical defendants in hypertension products liability Multidistrict Litigation
- Co-tried products liability jury trial in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Middlesex County, resulting in defense verdict for orthopaedic medical device manufacturer on manufacturing defect, design defect, failure to test and failure to warn claims
- Member of national and state trial teams, including as trial counsel, relating to orthopaedic medical device and pharmaceutical products
- Representation of medical device manufacturers and orthopaedic distributors and representatives in defense of medical device products liability, failure to warn and design and manufacturing defect mass torts and individual lawsuits
- Representation of medical device manufacturers of pelvic mesh, hernia mesh, tissue expander, vision and medical supply products in defense of product liability, failure to warn, and design and manufacturing defect mass torts and individual lawsuits
- Representation of pharmaceutical manufacturers in defense of anti-infectives, contraceptives, transdermal patches, hypertension, diabetes, irritable bowel syndrome, proton-pump inhibitor and other pharmaceutical products liability mass torts and individual lawsuits
- Representation of pharmaceutical manufacturers in intellectual property, patent, trademark, tortious interference, breach of contract, Robinson-Patman Act and false marking actions in the District of New Jersey
- Local counsel representation of pharmaceutical manufacturers in patent infringement and antitrust MDLs in the District of New Jersey
- Successfully obtained summary judgment on behalf of pharmaceutical manufacturers in products liability and personal injury lawsuits
- Successfully obtained summary judgment on behalf of hospital system and surgical practice in defense of unfair business practice, tortious interference with prospective economic advantage and civil conspiracy lawsuit by cardiothoracic surgeon relating to privileges and restriction of operating room access
- Successfully obtained summary judgment on behalf of hospital system and hospitals in defense of ERISA challenges in federal court
- Successfully obtained summary judgment on behalf of law firm in defense of legal malpractice action relating to fraudulent conveyance litigation and vicarious liability
- Representation of Big Four accounting firm in defense of auditor liability and deepening insolvency litigation
- Appointed Liaison Counsel for pharmaceutical defendants in diabetes products liability Multidistrict Litigation
Mike served as Master in the William J. Brennan Jr.-Arthur Vanderbilt Inn of Court, as ethics investigator for the District V Attorney Ethics Committee, vice chair of the New Jersey State Bar Equity Jurisprudence Special Committee, and as an appointee to the New Jersey Class Actions and Antitrust Special Steering Committees. Mike earlier served as law clerk to the now-retired Honorable James D. Clyne, Presiding Judge, Superior Court of New Jersey, Chancery Division, General Equity Part, in Ocean County, New Jersey.