Mark defends companies and individuals against allegations of federal criminal violations and civil fraud offenses and represents companies conducting their own internal inquiries and investigations. He handles matters involving federal and state False Claims Act (FCA) allegations, environmental offenses, securities fraud, mail and wire fraud, government contracting fraud and regulatory violations and has experience in multiagency and cross-border investigations.
Mark routinely represents corporations and other entities in high-stakes litigation and complex commercial disputes. His litigation experience extends to a variety of matters, including:
- Defending companies in the healthcare, defense, and housing industries against government and relator-driven False Claims Act allegations.
- Challenging multiemployer pension plan withdrawal liability assessments under ERISA and the Multiemployer Pension Plan Amendments Act.
- Representing officer, directors, and controlling shareholders in intra-corporate disputes.
- Navigating complex real estate disputes on behalf of owners, developers and lenders.
- Representing companies and individuals in theft of intellectual property and trademark infringement disputes.
Health Care Fraud and Compliance
Mark advocates for health care clients in compliance investigations and civil litigation, particularly FCA/qui tam litigation. He defends hospitals and other providers accused of violating the Anti-Kickback Statute (AKS) and Stark Law, upcoding Evaluation and Management (E&M) services, overbilling Medicare for patients who did not satisfy inpatient criteria and other alleged fraud. In addition, he represents clients in state and federal investigations and internal compliance audits and assists clients in developing effective compliance programs.
Mark previously clerked for The Honorable Franklin Van Antwerpen of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.