Hand in hand with providing strategic planning, Greg arbitrates and litigates disputes regarding pensions, health benefits, unfair labor practice charges and labor issues arising from collectively bargained agreements. He has litigated labor and ERISA cases in federal courts in the District of Columbia, Illinois, Maryland, Texas, Kentucky and Virginia.
Greg’s financial acumen from his experience as a certified public accountant with a Big Four accounting firm is particularly valuable in his representation of companies addressing collectively bargained obligations, pension liabilities and retiree health benefits under sections 1113 and 1114 of the Bankruptcy Code. As special benefits counsel to a leading packaged food company during its bankruptcy, he also handled delinquent contribution and withdrawal liability claims from 40 multi-employer pension plans.
- Challenged multiemployer pension plan withdrawal liability assessments on the basis of actuarial assumptions, construction exemption, timeliness, evade or avoid and common control
- Represented companies as special labor counsel and as special benefits counsel in addressing collectively bargained obligations, multiemployer pension liability and retiree health benefits under Sections 1113 and 1114 of the Bankruptcy Code
- Worked with medical providers and unions to create drug formularies that reduce prescription drug costs for employers while still providing a valuable benefit to employees
- Led the effort to completely restructure an employer's health plans, including health and sickness, dental, and prescription drug benefits for more than 4,000 employees and retirees
- Negotiated vendor contracts for a client with more than 50 vendors and more than 300 health and welfare plan designs
- Handled the delinquent contribution and withdrawal liability claims from 40 multiemployer pension plans as special benefits counsel to leading packaged food company during its bankruptcy
- Advised an employer in its assumption of $2.4 billion worth of long-term union and coal mining liabilities as part of its largest acquisition.