George is consistently recognized by Chambers USA as a leading health care attorney in New Jersey. According to Chambers, George has “fantastic knowledge of the health care industry and of the laws and regulations which affect his clients.” He also is recognized for his “thorough, conscientious and detailed” approach to his work.
George represents health care providers, including hospitals and health systems, behavioral health providers, home health agencies and physician groups on strategic transactions. He advises on:
- Joint ventures
- Change-of-member transactions
- Other types of affiliations
George counsels clients on practice acquisitions, professional services agreements and similar transactions between hospitals and physician groups.
Governance and Compliance
Health care organizations and their governing boards retain George to advise them on governance matters, including those arising in connection with strategic transactions or compliance issues. He also counsels health systems on implementing efficient governance models and practices following periods of substantial growth. He advises clients on privacy and tax laws, self-referral restrictions and other state and federal regulations. George defends clients in governmental and internal investigations, including fraud and abuse and Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) matters.
George is a frequent speaker on strategic transactions, behavioral health and integrated care, physician-hospital joint ventures and compliance issues. He has written on health care topics such as fraud and abuse, telemedicine, defending against governmental investigations and the New Jersey Community Health Care Assets Protection Act.
- Represented a nonprofit health system in connection with a change-of-membership transaction with a regional nonprofit health network. The combination of the two organizations provided the system with greater access to capital, technology and specialized physicians.
- Advised a nonprofit home health and hospice provider in an affiliation with a regional nonprofit health system.
- Advised a nonprofit health system with respect to its participation in New Jersey’s first proton therapy treatment center.
- Represented numerous health systems and physicians in the development of ambulatory surgery centers.
- Represented hospitals in the acquisition of freestanding imaging centers and other outpatient facilities.
- Represented hospitals in connection with practice acquisitions, professional services agreements and similar transactions between the hospitals and affiliated medical groups.
- Advised numerous hospitals and health systems in connection with contractual relationships with physicians.
- Represented two New Jersey health systems in a comprehensive review of their governance structures and practices.
- Advised nonprofit health systems in corporate restructurings and general governance matters.
- Serve as outside general counsel to health care providers, including a leading behavioral health hospital.