Allen has significant experience representing lenders and borrowers on mezzanine loan transactions, where his capabilities include negotiating, documenting and consummating transactions, including subordination and intercreditor arrangements, and restructuring troubled mezzanine loans.
Allen is highly skilled in restructuring troubled real estate assets and an authority on providing debtors-in-possession financing solutions in Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases.
In the course of his career, Allen has negotiated hundreds of legal opinions on behalf of lenders and borrowers, including non-consolidation and true sale opinions on behalf of borrowers, and mortgage loan opinions in many structured finance and asset securitization transactions.
Allen is a frequent contributor of articles on real estate, structured finance, commercial lending and loan enforcement, and often lectures to attorney and industry groups on real estate, lending and loan enforcement topics.
A former commercial real estate broker, Allen’s legal work is enhanced by an informed understanding of his client’s needs. He helps lenders, developers, investors and business owners facilitate all aspects of real estate transactions such as:
- Financial, development and franchise lending
- Mortgage and mezzanine loan origination and enforcement
- Commercial mortgage-backed securities lending and mortgage-backed securitization
- Construction finance
- Development finance
- Acquisitions, dispositions and leasing
- Loan workouts, modifications and extensions
- Property management
- Property tax incentives
- Real and personal property foreclosures
- Deeds in lieu of foreclosure and resale of collateral following foreclosure