Bill provides complete business and legal counsel to early and growth stage clients in nearly every sector, with an emphasis traditional technology, software, digital media and agricultural technology. He represents emerging growth companies at seed financing through mid-stage and works with early stage companies in merger and acquisition negotiations. Bill often guides clients through exit strategies by acquisition or public offering, and he is often engaged with clients for so long that they themselves become buy-side purchasers of other companies.
Bill also advises emerging growth clients on establishing intellectual property protections and articulating and executing long-range business strategies. Bill routinely advises companies on:
- Intellectual property transactions and licensing issues
- Employment and executive compensation matters
- Optimal capitalization strategies
- Corporate governance issue
Media and Entertainment
Bill is skilled at handling large-scale and complex transactions for media and entertainment companies, including mergers and acquisitions, equity investments and financing transactions — often in combination. He works on cross-border and domestic deals involving private equity firms and other investors and creditors
Bill’s longstanding corporate governance practice includes advising companies on executive compensation, risk management and fiduciary duties. Bill has served on the board of directors of several companies and currently serves as the outside member of the board of Entangled Media Corp.
Representative Merger and Acquisition Transactions
- Representation of Powerset, Inc., in its sale to Microsoft Corporation
- Representation of Calista Technologies, Inc., in its sale to Microsoft Corporation
- Representation of FanLib, Inc., in its sale to the Walt Disney Company
- Representation of eHarmony, Inc., in numerous acquisitions, including Projectwedding.com
- Representation of Trend Technologies, Inc., in its sale of its U.S. and Malaysian operations to U.K.-based private equity firm Doughty Hanson, P.C.
- Representation of Furuno Electric Co, Ltd., (public Japanese company) in its acquisition of eRide, Inc.
- Representation of Chuo-Kagaku, Ltd., (Japan) in its sale of a U.S.-based operational subsidiary
- Representation of RockYou, Inc., in several acquisitions of casual gaming companies (including U.K.-based) for the Facebook platform
- Representation of David Cooley in acquisition of bar property adjacent to the Abbey
- Representation of The Ranch at Malibu in connection with Italian Property Acquisition
- Representation of Bay Area Youth Center in its acquisition by Sunny Hills Services
As the founder and principal in a technology-company turnaround firm, Bill successfully rescued several high-technology firms from insolvency.
- USC Law School — Adjunct Professor, advanced course on venture capital law, 2012-15; Founding Adjunct Professor, USC online master of law program for international students, 2015