Insurance Industry Savvy
With knowledge and experience in the insurance industry, Kathryn represents insurance companies in compliance, contract, consumer complaint and regulatory matters. Kathryn helps insurance and annuity clients by:
- Handling disputes with Independent Marketing Organizations and agents
- Resolving disputed claims by settlement or interpleader actions
- Interpreting regulatory and statutory codes
- Working with State Insurance Commissioners and regulators to resolve regulatory and compliance issues and consumer complaints
- Litigating policy owner disputes related to lapse procedures, including defending allegations of misrepresentation and underfunding of universal life policies
- Defending against fraudulent claims
- Advising on day-to-day operational needs
Kathryn litigates for clients in contract, non-compete, trade secret, regulatory and tort matters nationwide. She has advocated in state and federal forums and has experience advising clients at mediation, settlement and trial.
Kathryn also assists individuals litigating in family law matters. In addition to her experience at the firm, Kathryn gained experience in divorce, child custody, child support and child advocacy, including special education needs, through internships and clinics during law school.
Kathryn gained firsthand knowledge of the court system as a law clerk in the Eastern District of Virginia. During law school, she worked as a legal extern with a Virginia county attorney’s office and legal intern with the Central Virginia Legal Aid Society. She also was a member of the University of Virginia School of Law’s Child Advocacy Clinic.
A downtown Des Moines enthusiast, Kathryn is a devotee of the farmers’ market, running trails and festivals.