Emily has experience assisting clients through the various stages of commercial litigation in federal and state courts, including claims arising from breach of contract, fraud and misrepresentation, shareholder disputes, unfair and deceptive business practices, securities, and alleged violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. She has also represented individuals and companies in connection with inquiries and investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission and other state regulatory entities.
Before joining the firm, Emily was a senior associate at Paul Hastings LLP, where she gained experience in complex commercial civil litigation and white-collar defense. She also previously clerked for the Office of Regional Counsel for U.S. EPA's Region five and served as an extern for the Honorable Marvin E. Aspen of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
In her spare time, you will find Emily outdoors, possibly on a lake in Michigan, hiking and camping in the Pacific Northwest, enjoying the peaceful Chesapeake Bay, or tending to her urban garden.
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law
J.D. cum laude, Journal of International Law (publications editor) (2011)
University of Oregon
B.A. in Family & Human Services, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa (2002)
Insights & Events
- Integrating Pro Bono into Professional Practice
Presenter, PILI, May 2018
- Investigations & White Collar Defense Academy: Preparing Client for Government Testimony
Author, Practising Law Institute, June 7, 2017
- Landmark Conviction of High Frequency Trader; Assessing the Impact
Co-author, Bloomberg BNA, January 6, 2014
Leadership & Community
- Women's White Collar Defense Association — Young Lawyers Committee
- Chicago Appleseed Fund for Justice — Board Member
- Chicago Appleseed Fund for Justice — Chair, Access to Justice Committee
- Public Interest Law Initiative’s Alumni Leadership Council — Chair-elect
- The Ford Family Foundation — Alumni
- Best Lawyers® — "Ones to Watch," Commercial Litigation, 2021-23;
- Faegre Drinker — Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2020-21
- Faegre Baker Daniels — Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2018-19
- Distinguished Alumni Service Award, Public Interest Law Initiative, December 2017
No aspect of these recognitions has been approved by the highest court of any state.