Closely Held Companies and Joint Ventures
Dave drafts and advises on partnership agreements, shareholder buy-sell agreements and limited liability company operating agreements. He has represented numerous family-owned and closely held businesses in sales to public companies, private companies and private equity funds. In addition, Dave formed and advised joint ventures in such diverse industries as farm equipment manufacturing, radio programming and dental supply companies.
Employee Stock Ownership Plans
Dave has extensive experience in transactions involving employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs), particularly in the acquisition and disposition of ESOP-owned companies. He has represented every party to such transactions, including selling shareholders, trustees, purchasers and other transaction professionals.
- Represented U.S. arm of multinational corporation in reorganizing to address world-wide tax and business planning initiative
- Represented privately held commercial printer in purchase of division of public company
- Led a disposition program for portfolio companies of a foreign-based bank private equity company which included sale of oil well services business, a circuit board manufacturer and a computer chip manufacturer
- Led sale of a privately held software design firm (partly ESOP-owned) in cash merger sale
- Led acquisition and reorganization of specialty ink manufacturing operation with facilities and equity holders in U.S., Italy and the Czech Republic
- Led a public company disposition program, which included sales of several farm equipment manufacturers, a plastics processor and an oil well services company
- Represented ESOP trustee in purchase of large hospital venture by ESOP
- Act as general outside counsel to numerous privately-held companies
- Led sale of a private company for $170 million by the 85% owner to company-sponsored ESOP
- Purchase by ESOP sponsored by a government contracting company of all shares from numerous shareholders, followed by restructuring to elect S corporation status
- Led joint ventures, including farm equipment manufacturers, radio programming providers and dental supply companies
- Represented numerous family-owned and closely-held businesses in sales to public companies, private companies and private equity funds
In his youth, Dave worked as a vendor at Wrigley Field and Comiskey Park, and today remains a faithful White Sox fan (although he did quietly root for the Cubs when they won the World Series).