Sue is recognized as a leading individual and a market-leader in the restructuring and insolvency field in the Legal 500 and in the International Who's Who of Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers. According to quotes provided by clients to these legal directories, Sue “stands out for her technical [experience] and ability to grasp the commerciality of the situation,” is “intelligent, articulate and shrewd” and her “advice is consistently concise and thoughtful, and conveys authority.”
Sue has led teams dealing with many high-profile restructurings and insolvencies. In so doing, she has been responsible for devising, negotiating and implementing restructuring solutions in a wide range of matters across different jurisdictions and sectors, often involving large numbers of stakeholders. She also deals with significant litigation arising in connection with restructurings and insolvencies.
Her experience spans numerous jurisdictions: the sun does not set on the geography of Sue’s experience advising on issues arising from financial distress, insolvency and restructuring in the United Kingdom, Europe, various off-shore jurisdictions, Asia and North America. Her practice also crosses many sectors. She has dealt with notable restructurings and insolvencies in the automotive, financial services, energy, retail, leisure, real estate, manufacturing, shipping, rail and aviation industries.
Sue is also a former member of the Insolvency Rules Committee, a body that gives recommendations to the U.K. Lord Chancellor in connection with secondary insolvency legislation.
Sue has chaired and spoken at a variety of international conferences on cross-border restructuring and insolvency issues.
- Advising major airline on its options and strategy for significant cross-border restructuring in light of its financial distress caused by the COVID-19 pandemic
- Advising Winsway Enterprises Limited, a Hong Kong Stock Exchange-listed company with trading operations in the People’s Republic of China and globally, on its major restructuring through parallel Hong Kong and British Virgin Islands schemes of arrangement and Chapter 15 proceedings. The deal was shortlisted for Restructuring Deal of the Year at the British Legal Awards and won Global Restructuring Review's award for the “Most Important Recognition Decision” in 2017
- Advising the British Virgin Islands liquidators of Peak Hotels & Resorts Limited, being a partner in a joint venture that formerly owned the prestigious Aman Resorts, including recognition of the liquidation in England, security issues and significant litigation involving numerous first instance decisions, four Court of Appeal decisions and one appeal to the Supreme Court
- Acting for the U.K. administrators of the English Toys “R” Us entities on a range of matters, including issues arising from aspects of the Chapter 11 proceedings, pension-related matters and significant litigation in England
- Advising the security trustee in connection with the retail mini-bonds issued by insolvent property company Blackmore Bond Plc on a wide range of issues
- Advising the board of directors of a U.K. train operating company responsible for delivering rail services to large parts of the U.K., in light of financial distress caused by the COVID-19 pandemic
- Advising on a variety of pre-pack administrations including in respect of RSM Tenon Group, the U.K.’s seventh largest accountancy practice, Thomson Directories Limited, and various companies in the telecoms, tech and manufacturing sectors
- Advising the Norwegian official receiver of companies in the Norske Skog group on a variety of English law matters arising out of what is the largest corporate insolvency to date in Norway
- Advising a Danish shipping group on U.K. aspects of its major cross-border financial restructuring
- Advising the administrators of Angel Group Limited and its subsidiaries in connection with significant litigation
- Advising the board of directors of a U.K.-wide casual dining chain, in light of financial distress caused by the COVID-19 pandemic
- Acting for a major Ukrainian-owned group of companies on its major financial cross-border restructuring, involving bank and bond debt
- Advising various insolvency practitioners and financial advisers on legal and regulatory risk issues and litigation, leading to a variety of published judgments
- Advising, devising and leading on a groundbreaking major scheme of arrangement for a company in the financial services sector to resolve alleged mis-selling of liabilities, which utilized an orphan trust structure and involved two million consumers, 11 banks and various regulatory authorities
- Advising the largest bank creditor on the insolvency in the offshore sector of Integrated Subsea Services and Harkand, which involved numerous cross-border issues
- Advising a syndicate of lenders in connection with English litigation arising from the Korean rehabilitation proceedings in respect of the shipping group Pan Ocean Co Limited
- Playing a pivotal role in the large 2014 restructuring of the Monarch Airlines group, advising in connection with the restructuring of the substantial pension deficit, and then advising on the 2017 administration
- Advising the security trustee of the issues of notes affected by the liability management exercise undertaken by the Co-op Bank, including the exchange offer and consent solicitation and the scheme of arrangement
- Advising certain consortium members on a diverse range of issues in connection with the PPP administrations of Metronet Rail, which was responsible for the maintenance of the London tube
- Advising the insolvency officeholder of a collapsed Latvian bank in connection with litigation strategies and then ensuing major fraud litigation in the English court
- Advising on many confidential restructurings in a variety of sectors, often including contingency planning
- Acting on the major and lengthy cross-border restructuring of Federal Mogul/T&N, which involved parallel U.S. Chapter 11 and administration proceedings in respect of 133 companies; the case was nominated for Restructuring Deal of the Year in The Lawyer Awards
- Acting for the liquidator of the Manx companies in the restructuring of Navigator/Cambridge Gas Transport, involving Chapter 11 proceedings and liquidation proceedings in the Isle of Man, which gave rise to one of the most recognized important judgments
- Advising major stakeholder on the U.K. administration proceedings in respect of Bridgewater Paper Company and on the parallel U.S. Chapter 11 and Canadian CCAA proceedings in respect of its parent and other members of the Abitibi group
- Acting for the provisional liquidators in the cross-border restructuring of the Global Crossing Group
- Acting for the provisional liquidators and the administrators of the Cenargo Ferry Group, which, following a jurisdictional dispute between the U.S. and the U.K., was restructured through a debt for equity swap with noteholders
- Represented a security trustee in connection with the restructuring of U.K. telecom equipment maker Marconi
- Represented a security trustee in connection with a defaulting issuer, advising on enforcement actions in offshore jurisdictions and litigation strategies to recover underlying noteholders' funds