Rodney represents clients in complex litigation at trial and on appeal. He has served as a member of numerous trial teams and secured important victories through dispositive motions, including summary judgment based on federal law preemption in a mass tort proceeding involving thousands of cases. He also has prevailed on Daubert and Kelly/Frye motions to exclude expert testimony, resulting in dismissals of cases, and has secured dismissals of claims brought by foreign plaintiffs who filed suit in the United States. Rodney also represents clients on appeal and has obtained numerous favorable appellate decisions.
State Regulation and Risk Management
Rodney advises clients on legal strategies to challenge state regulatory actions based on federal preemption, and he recently argued for a state agency to suspend its regulations, allowing a global client to continue to do business in the state. Rodney also assists clients with regulatory compliance and risk management before litigation commences. Clients also call upon Rodney to evaluate the liability exposure of target companies during merger and acquisition due diligence.
Privacy and Data Security
Rodney helps clients develop effective approaches to complying with the global patchwork of privacy and data security laws and to minimizing liability exposure. He has managed data breaches involving thousands of individuals.
- Served in leadership roles as a member of multiple national counsel teams defending global manufacturers of pharmaceutical medicines and medical devices in federal multidistrict litigation involving thousands of cases pending throughout the country
- Represented clients as lead, co-lead and liaison defense counsel in multiple high-stakes California statewide coordinated proceedings
- Drafted, argued and won summary judgment motion based on federal law preemption in coordinated proceeding involving thousands of cases alleging that the label on a prescription medicine was inadequate under state law
- Advised global client on legal strategy based on federal law preemption, resulting in suspended enforcement of state regulations and allowing the client to continue doing business in the state
- Member of multiple trial teams in federal multidistrict litigation that secured defense verdicts in favor of his clients
- Member of trial team in the defense of claims involving recalled medical device
- Obtained numerous summary judgments in cases alleging state law failure to warn claims under the laws of many different states
- Member of trial team that obtained defense verdict in commercial dispute alleging trade libel, defamation and unfair business practices involving millions of dollars in alleged damages
- Defended Fortune 10 technology client in putative class action involving alleged defective notebook computers
- Represented California medical device manufacturer in putative class action, resulting in dismissal of putative class claims and individual claims of plaintiffs at the pleadings stage
- Obtained summary judgment in multiple cases alleging that a prescription product used off-label resulted in significant injuries to patients
- Secured favorable summary judgment rulings in numerous cases involving over-the-counter medications based on lack of scientific evidence on causation
- Obtained dismissal of numerous lawsuits brought by foreign plaintiffs who were residents of Taiwan, Canada, Germany and Peru but filed lawsuits in the United States against manufacturers located in the United States
- Managed numerous nationwide data security breaches involving thousands of consumers and employees
- Georgetown University Law Center — Fellow, 1999-2001